Help! Heater pump turns on, but does not heat pool

tcasto

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2013
Bucks County PA
Hi! I was so proud that we were able to resurrect our filter pump by replacing the capacitor last weekend.. It felt so good to avoid a costly replacement and a visit by the pool guy. High fives all around.
But now our Pentair electric heat pump is useless. It is actually worse than useless, because it runs but does not produce heat. It was working up until the problem with the filter pump two weeks ago. It starts but after the 5 min start-up cycle, it clicks and just keeps blowing cool air. Any thoughts.?

Heat pumps are complicated things. Could be a flow sensor, could be a refrigerant sensor. Good news is that if it was working up until 2 weeks ago, it's probably something minor (note, I didn't say cheap)!

Thanks - keeping my fingers crossed. Who would you call to look at it- somebody at a Leslie’s? Repair guys from the pool builder? An electrician? I ask because I called the pool builder when I was having trouble with the filter pump and his repair guys weren’t going to be available for 10 days. But that’s what prompted me to google the problem and try replacing the capacitor- which worked!

One possibility is the contactor is not working, the fan will still run, but the contactor turns the refrigerant compressor on.
If you hear a "click", then you should hear the compressor turn on (a low hum), if not then the contactor is probably getting power, but not providing power to the refrigerant compressor.

Here is what manual says it could be with fan on and not heating:

"Heat Pump is in the five minute safety delay
and Compressor has not started. Faulty
Compressor. Faulty Capacitor. Compressor
contactor is stuck open. Control Board failure.
Incorrect wiring."

You can rule out five minute delay and Incorrect wiring, and since you hear the "click" you can more than likely rule out the control board, so possibly the Compressor, Capacitor, or the contactor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.