HELP! Hazy, turned Cloudy, turned Milky

Peter_S said:
Johnathan - the suggestion made by frustratedpoolmom (vacuum to waste) sounds like a good one next time your filter can't keep up. It works on above ground pools. You don't need a height differential. I do this whenever I need to drop the water levels. After it rains there are usually leaves and other crud in the pool and this method gets the big stuff out without clogging the skimmer basket. (It also gives me something to do while the water level comes down ...lol!)

yeah...vacuuming to waste or just setting my big vaccume hose over the side and creating a suction through the return, is a good way to drain water as well. And yes, water does dilute the FC level, and since I have a big tree by the pool I get lots of bugs and leaves during heavy storms...So I do often add a lot of chlorine after a big three or four inch rain like we had yesterday. Especially since i am too busy to vacuum the last couple of days :grrrr:

JohnathanStein said:
Interesting. I'll have to try that, if a problem warrants. Doubt I'll be dumb enough to use powdered chemicals again...

Not dumb JS...we have all been taken in by the pool guy, or others who think that floating this or that or dumping a bag of this is the easy way to go. I have convinced more people to buy pools just by telling them and then having the wife and kids back me on just how little time I spend on the pool each day. Some days all I do is stand on the deck and look at it, and if the pump is running I just smile and go on my way to work! :whoot:

Added bleach Wed. evening. Tonight, Sat., readings:

TC: 4
pH: 7.4

Found a timer at Wally World that goes on/off at dusk/dawn, so hooked it up -- along with a portable GFCI -- for automatic night filtering.

I look at the water every morning...clear as glass; I can see every speck of dirt on the bottom quite clearly!

Thinking about acquiring one of those battery operated vacuums, if they go on clearance sale. Might be less of a pain than hooking up the regular one. Still wanna try "Frustrated's" vacuum-to-waste idea though, as a just-in-case for future use.

JohnathanStein said:
Added bleach Wed. evening. Tonight, Sat., readings:

TC: 4

Found a timer at Wally World that goes on/off at dusk/dawn, so hooked it up -- along with a portable GFCI -- for automatic night filtering.

I look at the water every morning...clear as glass; I can see every speck of dirt on the bottom quite clearly!

Thinking about acquiring one of those battery operated vacuums, if they go on clearance sale. Might be less of a pain than hooking up the regular one. Still wanna try "Frustrated's" vacuum-to-waste idea though, as a just-in-case for future use.

I did it yesterday as I had a mess of leaves in the middle of the pool and I didn't want to have to clean all the leaves out of my nylon skimmer sock...so I just through the hose over the side...Put the Vac up against the return...you get a little bit of water flowing and bam...got instant vacuume and for you you wouldn't be putting any more waste into your filter...I will warn you...my two HP pump probably creates a much better vacuume than a smaller pump would...

Water is clear, Wed. night test results look good:

TC: 3

I tested "vacuum to waste": Sunk the hose, covered the end with my palm and put it on the ground. Works like a champ! (Wish I had done this when I had all that freakin' white powder at the bottom...)

It is only fitting that I add "FrustratedMom" to my HOT BABE list, alongside Elizabeth Warren, Rachel Ray, and -- last, but not least -- Martha Stewart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cubbybeave08 said:
If only they knew...You are the Martha Stewart of just about everything!!! :party:

By the way...that potato recipe you made when we were there last Martha...was AWESOME...DW has made it three times and is making it again tonight!...Thanks for the TIP! :goodjob:

3 times?! That stuff is a heart attack on a plate - I sure hope you are kidding... unless she found a way to reduce the fat... LOL

svenpup said:
So FPM, you are an insider trading billionaire with a stick up her butt? I never would have guessed.

Um, not quite sure how to take that? :?

Water clean & clear; this evenings' test results:

pH: 7.3

See no need to add anything. Got a neat Intex magnetic pool light (passes current by induction, I suppose). Kids think it's "AWESOME" -- we let'em have a night swim.

GG approves your list. (DH does too.) :goodjob:
Obviously, you're both persons of refined taste<g>.

svenpup wrote:
So FPM, you are an insider trading billionaire with a stick up her butt? I never would have guessed.
Well, I HAVE read that as head of a rather large enterprise, Ol' Martha's personality can be a bit prickly...

And, SOME folks think she paid more attention to a (relatively) minor $60,000 investment, rather than give full focus to the bulk of her $250,000,000 in assets. Possible, if not plausible.

But, if memory serves, she was actually persecuted for declaring herself to be innocent. More a form of blackmail -- like what happened to Micheal Milken (the prosecution threatened to file charges against his brother), so, like Martha, he copped a plea.

And, of course, the paragon of virtue who led the charge left public office in the arms of a $5,000 a night hooker.

Just like to keep things in perspective...she's STILL on my "HOT BABE" list!!!

It's Wed. evening, and -- due to an acute attack of stupidity -- the readings are:

TC: 0 - 0.5

Ruh-roh! I noticed Saturday that the floater tabs were wearing low, but thought it could wait 'til Wed. Evidently NOT!

Have added enough bleach to raise TC to 5, added two tabs, and will hope for the best.

JohnathanStein said:
It's Wed. evening, and -- due to an acute attack of stupidity -- the readings are:

TC: 0 - 0.5

Ruh-roh! I noticed Saturday that the floater tabs were wearing low, but thought it could wait 'til Wed. Evidently NOT!

Have added enough bleach to raise TC to 5, added two tabs, and will hope for the best.

You should be ok...You might want to check first thing in the morning and see what FC and TC are. are you saying your FC was 0 and TC was 0.5...If that is the case, I would get that puppy up to shock level just to be safe...

JohnathanStein said:
It is only fitting that I add "FrustratedMom" to my HOT BABE list, alongside Elizabeth Warren, Rachel Ray, and -- last, but not least -- Martha Stewart.
That's funny...my GF looks at me like I'm crazy when I say that Martha is sexy! (She's probably old enough to be my mother)

sorry svenpup... I likes me some martha... :eek:

That's funny...my GF looks at me like I'm crazy when I say that Martha is sexy! (She's probably old enough to be my mother)
Well, it was that old TV commercial that did it for me -- where she cut up old credit cards to make a mosaic on the bottom of a swimming pool -- it just set off the ol' BABE ALERT in my brain! It was a spoof, but it was just COOL!

She made my TIVO (now Media Center) list. The reaction of other estrogen units (family, co-workers, etc) are, of course, the result of jealousy.

Even after an all day rain, water was nice & clear last night:

Water seems fine, no complaints about feel, so I think I'll stop taking pH readings, as there seems to be no need to adjust TA. Looks like chlorine is holding fine, no doubt due to the floater tabs. Now, if I can find the air link in the inflatable ring, I'll be a happy camper.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.