HELP - Green, swampy pool

momspool1

Jul 15, 2022
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello,

I recently took over the care of my family’s pool. It is green and very cloudy (I can't even see the jets which are max 2' below the water level).

My first reading now that I (FINALLY) have my test kit:

FC = 0
CC = < 0.5
pH = > 8.0
TA = 70
CH = 200
CYA = < 30

What do you recommend for a plan of action? What do I tackle first?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Great.
Start with 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Test and add every day. Follow the FC/CYA Chart after the first day for 40 ppm CYA.
Then lower the pH to 7.4 using muriatic acid.
Then start 20 ppm CYA worth of CYA stabilizer granules dissolving using the sock method. Once dissolved, test the CYA level 24-48 hours later.

Great.
Start with 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Test and add every day. Follow the FC/CYA Chart after the first day for 40 ppm CYA.
Then lower the pH to 7.4 using muriatic acid.
Then start 20 ppm CYA worth of CYA stabilizer granules dissolving using the sock method. Once dissolved, test the CYA level 24-48 hours later.
Hi mknauss,

Thank you for your advice! I am a total beginner so I want to clarify that I interpreted your instructions correctly.

Per advice I received from my last post, I have been adding liquid chlorine nightly until I received my test kit today. According to the PoolMath app, 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine for my pool size is actually the amount I have been adding nightly already, so I have already completed your first step.

Starting at step 2, I will test daily and add the appropriate amount of bleach following the FC/CYA Chart for 40 ppm CYA (FC target 5-7 ppm).

For the muriatic acid -- I just want to confirm that this is fine to use in vinyl pools. My mom (who owns the pool), is quite concerned about this step because our liner is already wrinkled and she thinks that muriatic acid will degrade it because she googled muriatic acid and vinyl liner and got a hit that says you shouldn't use it in vinyl pools. I'm 99% sure it's fine, but want to double check for her peace of mind.

Thank you in advance for your time! I hugely appreciate the help.

Once you have your CYA in the pool, and have squeezed it out, you assume that it's in there at the level you added. Then you slam using that CYA level to determine you chlorine addition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.