Denieni

Aug 12, 2021
Brighton. MI
Hi! I'm new here!

I bought a pop up inflated rim 14 ft pool yesterday for my kids, filled it up and this morning it's green! Not murky or cloudy but really green, like paint.

It is filled from a well and we have a water softener installed in the house. If we get low on salt my hair and our bathtubs will turn orange the second we are out.

I did not run the filter, I want to keep my electric bill low so I planned to run it when they're swimming. Do I have to load this thing with chemicals? I just wanted a dinky little pool for the kids to play I didn't think something would go wrong by morning. From my research it can't be algae I mean, it's had water in it maybe 12 hours. If I swim in it my hair will turn orange I'm guessing.

Please help! I'm lost.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
What you see right now is Iron. However, algae will be right around the corner.
Did you fill the pool through your softener/iron filter system? That would be best.
To keep the pool clean and sanitary, consider following Seasonal Pools
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
What you see right now is Iron. However, algae will be right around the corner.
Did you fill the pool through your softener/iron filter system? That would be best.
To keep the pool clean and sanitary, consider following Seasonal Pools
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Bummer. I just wanted a pool for the kids the play in. It was not filled through the softener system. I only have a softener not a filter system. I mentioned that so everyone would know how the indoor water works but this was filled with the hose so it came straight from the well. I'm so discouraged already.

Next time you dump the pool and refill, try running the garden hose through a container filled will pollyfill. Sometimes the poly captures enough iron so that it doesn't react in the pool.
Will the polyfill grab un-oxidized iron? My understanding is it won't get caught by the polyfill until it's oxidized which wouldn't happen until it spends some time with air / chlorine in the pool?

Will the polyfill grab un-oxidized iron? My understanding is it won't get caught by the polyfill until it's oxidized which wouldn't happen until it spends some time with air / chlorine in the pool?
It may/may not. But it's such a cheap and easy thing to do it's worth trying. Besides filtering new water from the hose, you can also use a separate pump to circulate existing pool water through such polyfill since the chlorinated water in a pool often changes color. That's another opportunity.

So.. can you pump the water back through the polyfill? You might have answered your own question.

Get some CYA in it and dump a SLAM amount of bleach in. The good news is that when I put up a play pool in Iowa and took it down every year, I could get away with tablets and liquid chlorine as band-aids. You might not need to go full TFP on a 5000 gallon pool and it is easy to fix issues. The amusing thing is even with that pool I basically went TFP on my own without knowing about it.

If you plan on taking it down every year, you won't build up enough CYA for it to matter in one season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.