Help! Green Pool

Jhart497

In The Industry
Jan 11, 2021
Allen Tx
Hello,
I am newer to the pool world and feel as if I am having trouble getting my footing. I recently took over at my company as the Aquatics Director and have been hit with a lot since then. Most recently I just had to drain the pool for some repairs and have both of my filters replaced. I filled the pool back up and everything was fine for a couple of days but now I have a green pool. I’ve done a lot of research on this and found it’s most likely due to algae. Over the past couple of days I have been continuously shocking the pool. I also took a sample to my pool store and he gave me some Green to Clean to use and told me to continue to shock the pool every 12 hours for the next 36 hours. He also ensured me that I should start to notice a difference after about 24 hours. Unfortunately I’m not noticing any difference. I should mention that we do have 2 filters for the pool and one is down right now but will be fixed tomorrow but the other filter is running just fine. I do plan to backwash first thing in the morning but am very frustrated that I can’t seem to get this under control. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum!
TFPC is for pool owner maintained residential pools. Is the pool you are dealing with considered a public pool that must meet local health codes?
For algae, you first need a proper test kit. How are you testing your pool water chemistry. Second is we follow the SLAM Process. The 'Green to Clean' they gave you is typically just cal hypo and sometimes flocculant. Flocculant is not recommended.
Have a read through some of what I have linked and let us know if we can help.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
TFP methods definitely work. They are based on science. Unfortunately, if you are dealing with a public/commercial pool with legal oversight, it will be nearly impossible to follow TFP or to keep your pool clean and sanitary. The laws in most areas require pools to have less chlorine than tap water is allowed to have.

Do you still have the packaging from the Green To Clean? You can post a picture of the ingredients and someone will be able to tell you if it has flocc. Flocculant is like glue, it will clog up your filter medium.

Step one is figure out if you are beholden to legal limits for chlorine due to health codes. If not, or if the pool is currently closed (it should be, as visible algae means microorganisms are living) then you are free to follow the SLAM process to clean up the pool.

SLAM process should be great and legal anywhere. Main thing is to use the TFP ratio.

Obviously to help the OP, a lot more info is needed. Type of filter, size of pool, chemical readings from a good kit, equipment, etc.

In my state, max legal TC is 3. Too low for SLAM unless CYA is zero.
I believe what they are saying is that once the pool is closed to swimmers due to the unsanitary conditions, the outdated regulations for public swimming pools no longer applies and they would be free to SLAM, or conversely follow the outdated regulations and shock the bejeesus out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.