Help!! Green, crunchy hair

Ok, water tested, Copper .2, Iron .1, CYA 59, pH 7.4, TC .4,FC 0, alkalinity 109, salt 3400........advised to put in 3.25 quarts of pool magnet plus. Which I did.... please no "shamey fingers".....I know - or at least I thought I understood, that this would temporarily contain the copper so my kids could swim without their hair turning more green. At least they like the pool lol!

However, one of the posts said that even with sequestering the Copper, hair will still be turned green. Is this correct?

one of the posts said that even with sequestering the Copper, hair will still be turned green. Is this correct?
I am not sure but I think not. The sequestering process should keep it from precipitating regardless of the surface. So, walls, steps, and hair should all be protected.

Long term, it would be nice to get it all out of your pool through dilution but sequestration should work for now.

I put in $60 of sequesterants and it had no affect on reducing green hair. Then I did a series of drains and refills which brought the copper level down and eventually it wasn't measureable anymore. But at .3 they were still getting green hair. Thank god I found the Nexxus Aloe Rid at the time. But after the shampoo removed it, and they swam in the pool (with the sequesterant) the hair would turn green again. So that's my take. YMMV. But at the time the copper level was higher than yours. You might have better luck....

shock is something you do to the pool, we call it SLAM. You use chlorine to shock/SLAM the pool. We recommend liquid chlorine. If you are not maintaining the FC at the MIN for your CYA level, you will end up with cloudy/green water. You can add chlorine slowly to raise it to your "MIN". that wouldn't necessarily be shocking. It may not "negate" the sequesterant addition but it may still react with the metals. I'd still add enough to reach your min, test hourly and add until it's holding.

I finally read this whole thread and can sympathize about the green hair. However, everybody is honed on the green hair and that's not what bothers me most. What bothers me, is the fact that she can't maintain FC (I assume that the swg is running) and both her new test kit and even the pool store shows that she has some CC's.

I think you really need to drain 50% of the pool a couple of times and then SLAM the pool until you can pass the OCLT. Also keep in mind that metals tests aren't very accurate or reliable so you could have more metals than they're showing.

If you think your public water may have metals you can get a water report from the local utility and it will show exactly what your water contains. Some places even have them online. P.S. I didn't see one on Charleston's water dept website, but you can call and ask for one.

Ok, I had to step away for awhile.....I am still dealing with the copper, at this point we are just trying to get thru the summer and we will then do a series of parial fills and refills before closing for fall/winter. This poses a new set of questions: 1. Is this the time to do the fills/refills or should we wait until spring? 2. If we do them this fall, do I need to get the water numbers in check before we close the pool or will I open the pool to a big mess? 3. I've been told by a local pool store that I need to keep at least 18" in the shallow end of our pool for drains/refills.......I asked about draining completing and he said the risk of unseating (?) the liner comes up. I thought that just meant I would have to put the vacuum on it.....he then said, no, I risk it not fitting the pool because the liner actually shrinks. IS THIS TRUE???? He also said since this is our 3rd season, we might "get away with a total drain and refill". What's your opinion on that? And lastly, my liner has ALWAYS had wrinkles on my tanning ledge....big noticeable wrinkles. Is this normal or a manufacturing defect? The corners tend to pull away. THANKS AGAIN FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT!

1. The sooner the better as far as I am concerned. I would start now, but it is up to you.
2. If you close the pool as described in Pool School, then you could open to a clear pool. Even if it is not clear, just follow the SLAM process to clear it up.
3. This is true, we recommend leaving at least 1 foot of water in the shallow end. I would not risk a full drain unless you are prepared to replace the liner.
4. Wrinkles are a sign that either the liner is the wrong size/shape or it was not seated properly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.