Help getting rid of Algae

nobodyfresh82

Aug 12, 2020
Maine
About 2 weeks ago, I had what looked to be Algae in the pool. After a few days of rain. Before that, all the levels in the pool were spot on.

Once I tested the pool by FC was low, PH was high and CYA was low. I shocked the pool, and nothing. After reading I started adding some some liquid chlorine and stabilizer and PH decrease. I got the all the levels good again, however the algae is still there. I've tried the Super Algae Guard, and nothing. I've resorted to draining most of the pool and seeing if that would help and nothing.

I'm trying to figure out what kind of algae it is, or what it is, how do I kill it, since and make the pool safe again. I have an intex above ground 42 inche deep, 3357 gallon pool.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 11
^^what she asked.

Sounds like you need to SLAM (TFP's method of 'shocking'. This is not a one time shock and done thing.)

This article is super helpful! We had to do our first SLAM a few weeks ago also.

^^what she asked.

Sounds like you need to SLAM (TFP's method of 'shocking'. This is not a one time shock and done thing.)

This article is super helpful! We had to do our first SLAM a few weeks ago also.

I was/am using the HTH 6 way testing strips.

^^what she asked.

I have essentially done the SLAM method, The issue with Vacuuming, is once you try to vacuum this "algae" it makes the pool cloudy, and then after 4-5 hours it settles and look like it does in the picture. Regardless of the amount of chlorine in the pool .

Per the HTH Teststrips:

FC/BR 3/6
ph: 7.2-7.5
TA: 80-120
TH: 200
CYA 70-100

The ones that flucate are the ones that I'm trying to balance correctly.

Prior to this year, all i ever did was shock and put chlorine in and never had an issue before the pool went down for the season.

With the slam method how much chorine should I be adding? If the FC is in the acceptable range should I just dose it very heavy and let it kill everything?

The persistent algae is due to low FC for your CYA. Your cya is binding up usable chlorine in layman’s speak See chlorine/ CYA chart link in my signature.
The second issue is you need a proper test kit. Guess strips lead you down an ugly path. Not accurate or consistent enough. I suggest the TF100 with speed stir, link in signature. Or the Taylor k2006c.
While waiting on your test kit:
Add 5ppm liquid chlorine per day to at least maintain current condition.
Read ABCs of pool water chemistry in pool school. Link in sig.
Add your pool information to your signature. Settings/signature. Helps the experts help you and you don’t have to type it each thread.

Reactions: l1ltaral1l
So basically the test kits are worthless, and not accurate which is good to know. Assuming that the FC is very low, and likely the CYA isn't correct either, likely the same with the rest. Once the FC and CYA are testing where they should, the algae should go away? Would I be safe to start refilling the pool while I wait for the test kits. Should I add any chlorine while I'm waiting or just wait until I can test?

Once you have your test kit, post a full set of results and the experts will help guide you on the next step.
Which is likely to be SLAM. Similar to "shock" except that the higher FC is maintained until you pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. OCLT. Unlike shocking, slamming is maintained until algae is gone.

I apologize for missing the gallons in your pool, yes the easiest is to drain and replace to start from scratch, if that works for you.

I use the pool math app to calculate additions. It is free or you can pay ~$8 a year so it keeps a log of what you have added, etc. Worth $8 to me for the history, although training my grandson to do tests so using paper version this summer.

If you empty it, add 13 oz. of dry stabilizer for cya of about 30. Assume that is the case until you can test.
For fresh new water - Add 1 gallon of 6% bleach (liquid chlorine), no additives or thickeners, not Clorox brand. OR 2 quarts of 12% to bring FC up to about 4. Usually Walmart or Lowes has 12% Pool Essentials chlorine.
With 30 cya your target FC is 4-6, never below 2ppm.
Adding about a quart of 12% chlorine a day until test kit comes would add about 2ppm daily, maybe a tad short on FC, but should keep you decent until you can test.

See also Seasonal Pools for some thoughts on smaller pools.
The test kit is still a good idea, up to you on whether is easier to dump and refill occasionally.

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

With your seasonal pool, it will be easier to do a drain and refill.
For the test kit, the best is the TF-100 from TFTestkits.net. Because you have a seasonal pool, at the minimum, you can also use the HTH 6-way drop type test kit with the liquid CYA test. Test strips are useless.

After you refill, add granular CYA. Then use liquid chlorine to sanitize the pool. Keep FC on the high side, and each day brush the sides and bottom. Do this until you stop getting the dirty, cloudy water when you brush. then maintain FC per the FC/CYA Levels and you will have a clean sanitary pool to enjoy.

You use the pool if the pH is in line, you can clearly see to the bottom and your FC is at or below SLAM levels for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.