Help Freeze prevention

JerseyMike37

Jul 7, 2021
Allentown, NJ
pool installed this past summer and they didn’t have the cover in until mid November pool closing company said no big deal that they have orher people that keep their pools open through November

Tonight it’s gonna get down to 30 so I’m worried about damage to the pool or the heater I have the heater on bypass but it has residual water in it of course and I have the pump set to stop running at around 7 PM

Is there anything I should do or worry about when temperatures will drop to a low of 30 tonight

I checked and pool water in heater is 48 degrees

I think you will be okay. The temperature is not likely to get down below 32F long enough to cause any damage.

Read...

Why are you bypassing your heater?

Run your pump at low speed to keep water circulating and not freezing.

You can put some blankets on the pool equipment to keep them warm and even put an incandescent light bulb under the blankets but I don't think that is necessary.

I think you will be okay. The temperature is not likely to get down below 32F long enough to cause any damage.

Read...

Why are you bypassing your heater?

Run your pump at low speed to keep water circulating and not freezing.

You can put some blankets on the pool equipment to keep them warm and even put an incandescent light bulb under the blankets but I don't think that is necessary.

We aren’t using the pool anymore and the heater created more resistance by 8psi so I bypassed it for the last month or so

Pump is single speed, should I run it overninght

I would allow water to run through the heater and run the pump overnight just to be safe.

Btw it is a heat pump, not a gas heater

Yup, I saw that in your signature.

A HP is more likely to be totaled by freezing water in it then a gas heater where the damage is often repairable.

What about having them winterize it while you wait for the cover. I had mine scheduled for mid October. They came and winterized, went to put the cover on but it was the wrong size. So it didn’t get covered properly until today since they had to wait for the cover to be fixed. Atleast it was winterized already though so I didn’t have to worry about freezing. Just an idea, obviously it’s easier to do it on the same day but I personally wouldn’t want to worry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.