Lynnlaake

Aug 22, 2021
Johnson City, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi All! First time poster here. We finally got our above ground vinyl pool set up this past weekend. Since we are new, we decided to test water first, to see levels. (Checking with clorox test strips) All levels were off. We added: PH Down, a large clorox chlorine tablet into the floater, and then shock. AFTER reading to not add shock until everything is balanced, it was too late. I waited a day for it to settle, then rechecked levels. Still off. I then, decided after getting on Pool Math, to add 15 oz clorox bleach and 6.5 oz of PH Down PH. As of yesterday evening, PH was 6.8, hardness 1000, Total alkinity 240, stabilizer 0, total and free chlorine 0. I think my husband messed up adding shock prior to levels being correct, but its too late now. Any advice? My son is so excited to swim, but its not safe with those numbers, correct? This is our first time EVER to do any type of pool and chemicals. So we are in need of some major help. Ive watched alot of the videos through this site, but just dont know what to do stabilizer wise. Liquid? It shows it granules, it can take couple weeks to dissolve. I see on amazon there is Natural Chemistry Liquid Pool Stabilizer and Conditioner. Please send me some tips. Thank you so much.

Welcome to TFP. It is best to get an accurate test kit. Get one ordered and you will get really good help here. Without it you may be adding what you don't need and in the wrong amounts!

Test Kits Compared

You should also leverage TFP Pool School...maybe start here? ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Reactions: Lynnlaake
Merged threads - TFP Mod
Good morning all! Im new to having a pool, so its a huge learning curve, and Im trying my best. We are having issues with the levels. Its been cloudy since last night. I added some clorox algaecide since it looked a tad greenish, as well as 3 oz of shock last night. This morning its clear cloudy. Its 6000 gallon above ground, and we use the clorox test strips, but will be getting one of the good test kits soon.
The stabilizer bounces from 0 to 50 back and forth. We added a huge jug of the 31.45% muriatic acid all weekend long, as well as liquid stabilizer since it was stuck at 0 for many days. Im not sure where to go, and its driving me crazy that we cant enjoy the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Just to clarify, we didnt just pour the entire jug of muriatic acid in. I went to a pool store for assistance, and he gave me instructions. We did it in certain measurements, as followed by TFP pool math. Ive gone by the book using this resource, and using less than instructed. For me, its better to add less, than more. Thanks.
Total hardness-1000
TC-5
FC-3
PH-8.4
Alkalinity 240
Stabilizer-50

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Lynn and Welcome !!!
The stabilizer bounces from 0 to 50 back and forth. We added a huge jug of the 31.45% muriatic acid all weekend long, as well as liquid stabilizer since it was stuck at 0 for many days. Im not sure where to go, and its driving me crazy that we cant enjoy the water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Full. Stop.

You do not know anything about the chemistry levels and are only going to add new issues by adding things without knowing why.

Get the kit. We will happily guide you once you have good data. :)

Hey Lynn and Welcome !!!

Full. Stop.

You do not know anything about the chemistry levels and are only going to add new issues by adding things without knowing why.

Get the kit. We will happily guide you once you have good data. :)
Just to clarify, we didnt just pour the entire jug in. I went to a pool store for assistance, and he gave me instructions. We did it in certain measurements, as followed by TFP pool math. Ive gone by the book using this resource, and using less than instructed. For me, its better to add less, than more. Thanks.

What he's trying to tell you is that CYA does not bounce around like that. What you are seeing is faulty testing by your test strips. And PoolMath is only as good as the data it is provided, so if you're feeding it bad data it will give you bad answers.

Nothing can be done until you truly know what is going on with your water. That vital and accurate information isn't going to come from a test strip or a pool store.

we didnt just pour the entire jug in
For future knowledge, liquid stabilizer gets clumpy on the bottom of the jug and most of the CYA remains in the clump. No matter how hard you shake the bottle, it doesn’t mix well. It’s fine for a whole bottle add, as you can rinse the bottle clean, but for anything less it’s a crud shoot if you got enough or too much. :)

What he's trying to tell you is that CYA does not bounce around like that. What you are seeing is faulty testing by your test strips. And PoolMath is only as good as the data it is provided, so if you're feeding it bad data it will give you bad answers.

Nothing can be done until you truly know what is going on with your water. That vital and accurate information isn't going to come from a test strip or a pool store.
Makes total sense. Ill be getting the test kit this weekend. Thanks!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If your water is cloudy or green, you can add 5 PPM of liquid chlorine daily and run your pump to help prevent an issue from getting worse. But until you have good numbers, ditto everyone else and hold off on any other chemicals.
I think guess strips are absolutely terrible for CYA - they are bad for everything but I feel like they are the worst for that.

I think guess strips are absolutely terrible for CYA - they are bad for everything but I feel like they are the worst for that.
Preach. By their own say so, 0 30-50 100 and 200+. (Or something similar depending on brand) doesn’t tell anyone squat. Even if they were accurate enough to be correct that it’s somewhere between 50 and 100.

Reactions: V___25
Makes total sense. Ill be getting the test kit this weekend. Thanks!
Note that it is virtually impossible to get the right test kits in a brick and mortar store. Order one today. The sooner you order, the faster it will get to you.
You need a TF-100 from here TFTestkits.net or a Taylor 2006C, available on Amazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.