Help! First time pool owner

Tigrchic83

Jun 25, 2019
Central Oregon
Hello! Ok so when I did my first test I accidentally added an extra 0 to my total alkalinity. Therefore it told me to put a whole gallon of Muriatic acid in my pool. Now my ph is only at 6.8 for the last two days and my chlorine is staying at 0.5.

Any suggestions? Should I be using one of those floating things with a chlorine tab in it?

Raise your PH by pointing your return jets up so they are breaking the surface of the water. To raise your chlorine you need to add liquid chlorine or bleach. You need to add liquid chlorine everyday to stay at your target based on your CYA. Chlorine is consumed by the sun, organics and bather load.

It’s vinyl

How many gallons is the pool? For me adding an extra gallon of muriatic would take 3-4 days to come back up. Plaster pools do that though. With a liner it will take longer. How long does it take for your pH to drop enough to have to add Muriatic? I think if you are close to 7 you could just let it rise on its own. Or at least get it up to a 7. Aeration is the best way to increase pH since it drives CO2 out of your water and allows it to naturally become less acidic.

Bigger issue is if your chlorine is only .5 you are going to get algae very quickly. Have a look through Pool School (link on the left edge).

How many gallons is the pool? For me adding an extra gallon of muriatic would take 3-4 days to come back up. Plaster pools do that though. With a liner it will take longer. How long does it take for your pH to drop enough to have to add Muriatic? I think if you are close to 7 you could just let it rise on its own. Or at least get it up to a 7. Aeration is the best way to increase pH since it drives CO2 out of your water and allows it to naturally become less acidic.

Bigger issue is if your chlorine is only .5 you are going to get algae very quickly. Have a look through Pool School (link on the left edge).
It’s 6000 gallons. I’ve only been testing it for 3 days. So should I put one of those floating chlorine tabs in. I have added bleach each day

It’s 6000 gallons. I’ve only been testing it for 3 days. So should I put one of those floating chlorine tabs in. I have added bleach each day

First thing is to get a proper test kit with quality re-agents like the TF-100. Have you added any CYA (cyanuric acid) yet? The CYA level determines the chlorine level. You should not add the chlorine tabs but you should add some bleach asap. Off the cuff you will need to add about 1/2 a gallon of regular old 8.25% chlorine laundry bleach to raise your pool to 3 parts chlorine. You will probably use 2 parts per day so plan on around a 1/2 gallon per day to maintain proper chlorine level. You should test chlorine daily especially with a new pool. Get the cheapest kind of bleach with no scents or additives to make is splashless, etc.

Check out Pool School asap! Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.