Help! Fired my pool guy, no clue what I'm doing!

Jul 17, 2015
Rosenberg, Tx
This is my 3rd pool, but first salt system. It's also my first automated system, so not being able to just go turn valves manually until I achieve what I want is limiting. And I'm a bit afraid to just punch buttons.

We have a screen lanai and an automatic salt and chlorine dispenser. From the error message on the screen, it would appear the chlorinator is not working or is turned off. Salt level is 3000PPM. I don't have any way of testing the chemicals so this is all I can report atm. Our pool should be the absolute easiest pool on the pool guys schedule because he literally just has to refill the chlorine and salt and occasionally vacuum it when the rain washes some dirt into it, since we don't have a Polaris or anything running along the bottom (no need since the pool is enclosed).

Two weeks ago he forgot to turn the skimmers back on after vacuuming, so for a week with no skimmers there was all sorts of hair and nastiness floating around. Then after a rain it needed to be vacuumed again. So I told him it needed attention and to remember to turn the skimmers back on. So this past week he came (we were on vacation for a week) and he left the pump running only in the spa. So for a week of 100+ degree temps the pool did not circulate at all.

We have zero pool equipment (not so much as a single net) because we own another house with a pool which is currently rented out and we left all our pool equipment there. So until that lease is up, we are going to hire another pool service. Eventually we will probably get our pool equipment back from that house and take care of this pool ourselves. Seems like it will be easy (once I figure out this automated system). It's going to be a few days before I can get a new service out here. In the mean time, what can I do chemically to start killing this algae? The pump seems to be running fine, but I do have a check system message and an alert that says "No Cell Power 2". I know brushing it would probably be ideal, but I guess I'd have to go buy one.

With my chlorine pools I would have just started dumping bleach in there. Can I do that with this pool too?
pool algae.jpg

Your pool is the same as your previous one. A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. It sounds like your SWCG is not operating so that is an issue that can be addressed later. Right now, you need a proper test kit and you need to add chlorine to the pool. Sounds like you are using trichlor in a chlorinator device. So your CYA may be very high.

Order a proper test kit. While waiting on the kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each day to your pool. You should remove the trichlor.

Reactions: Eight8Mama
This is my 3rd pool, but first salt system. It's also my first automated system, so not being able to just go turn valves manually until I achieve what I want is limiting. And I'm a bit afraid to just punch buttons.

We have a screen lanai and an automatic salt and chlorine dispenser. From the error message on the screen, it would appear the chlorinator is not working or is turned off. Salt level is 3000PPM. I don't have any way of testing the chemicals so this is all I can report atm. Our pool should be the absolute easiest pool on the pool guys schedule because he literally just has to refill the chlorine and salt and occasionally vacuum it when the rain washes some dirt into it, since we don't have a Polaris or anything running along the bottom (no need since the pool is enclosed).

Two weeks ago he forgot to turn the skimmers back on after vacuuming, so for a week with no skimmers there was all sorts of hair and nastiness floating around. Then after a rain it needed to be vacuumed again. So I told him it needed attention and to remember to turn the skimmers back on. So this past week he came (we were on vacation for a week) and he left the pump running only in the spa. So for a week of 100+ degree temps the pool did not circulate at all.

We have zero pool equipment (not so much as a single net) because we own another house with a pool which is currently rented out and we left all our pool equipment there. So until that lease is up, we are going to hire another pool service. Eventually we will probably get our pool equipment back from that house and take care of this pool ourselves. Seems like it will be easy (once I figure out this automated system). It's going to be a few days before I can get a new service out here. In the mean time, what can I do chemically to start killing this algae? The pump seems to be running fine, but I do have a check system message and an alert that says "No Cell Power 2". I know brushing it would probably be ideal, but I guess I'd have to go buy one.

With my chlorine pools I would have just started dumping bleach in there. Can I do that with this pool too?
View attachment 108704
It sounds like you fired the same pool guy I fired about 4 years ago (I live in Cypress). Consistently left my skimmers closed after service (but fortunately not the main drain). The last straw was when he left both skimmers AND my main drain valves closed after service two weeks in a row. Why the'd even be closed in the first place was beyond me. The experts here WILL get your pool working the way you want if you follow their directions. I hope to never need a pool guy again.

Reactions: Eight8Mama
I had a Group On gift of a pool service for a month. He dripped the test chems directly into the pool. Could’ve knocked me over with a feather!
I told him “Thanks, but no thanks, and don’t let the gate hit you in the Rear on the way out!”

Get your test kit, post your results and the pro’s here will have you in normal specs in no time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.