Help Figuring Out Pump

Aug 9, 2014
Arizona
This is all I can find for markings on my current pump. Am trying to decide if its worth it to swap it for a new variable speed or not. It still works so not sure if I should be in a hurry to make the change or not. Or if its worth paying the extra for a qualified installer for the Pentair full warranty. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2130485637_20140921_160514_2613811.jpg

PS,

When you almost have to pay twice the cost to get a warranty, it is not normally worth it to me.. Just for reference, I have three IntelliFlo pumps.. One installed by my pool builder, with a three year warranty, and two installed by me with a 60 day warranty. All three run 24/7, usually at about 1200 RPM, most of the time. The oldest is about 8 or 9 years old, one is about 7 years old, and the one at my house is over 5 years old. None of them have ever had a failure of any kind.. Note that the one at my house has the SVRS option and will shut off due to the SVRS, but this is a design issue and not a warranty issue, and I have learned what needs to be done to make sure it does trip the SVRS..

The point is, that only based upon my small sample size, it does not make sense for me to "buy" a warranty.

A VS will save you some money on your electrical bill, but how much depends on how long you run your pump now.

A 2-speed pump might be a better choice.

Do you have a spa or any water features? If not, then a VS is not necessary..

Thanks,

Jim R.

PS,

When you almost have to pay twice the cost to get a warranty, it is not normally worth it to me.. Just for reference, I have three IntelliFlo pumps.. One installed by my pool builder, with a three year warranty, and two installed by me with a 60 day warranty. All three run 24/7, usually at about 1200 RPM, most of the time. The oldest is about 8 or 9 years old, one is about 7 years old, and the one at my house is over 5 years old. None of them have ever had a failure of any kind.. Note that the one at my house has the SVRS option and will shut off due to the SVRS, but this is a design issue and not a warranty issue, and I have learned what needs to be done to make sure it does trip the SVRS..

The point is, that only based upon my small sample size, it does not make sense for me to "buy" a warranty.

A VS will save you some money on your electrical bill, but how much depends on how long you run your pump now.

A 2-speed pump might be a better choice.

Do you have a spa or any water features? If not, then a VS is not necessary..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

Thank you so much for the insight on the pump. I figured they would last long enough that the warranty wouldn't matter but this is my first pool and as near as I can tell nobody has every really updated anything on it.
No spa or water features, just the vacuum. I run the pump around 4 hours in the winter and 8 in the summer depending on the weather.

Jeff

Jeff,

Sounds to me like a 2-speed pump would work well for you. Run low speed for generating chlorine and high speed for vacuuming.

If you just "want" a VS pump, it will work just fine, but it will take a longer time for you to get the money back in electrical savings.

Again, just for reference.. I can run my 3 HP IntelliFlo, 24/7, at 1200 RPM, for less than $20 bucks a month.

One minor problem with a VS pump, when you have a SWCG, is that the two must be synced so that the salt cell never runs when the pump is off. Since the VS pump gets constant AC power, and is schedule via the pump's control panel, you can't just connect the SWCG to the same constant power that the pump gets. Most people just use a timer for the cell and sync it up to the time the pump is scheduled to run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Check for a rebate from the manufacturer and your utility. Example:

So I have two pumps that I can work out a reasonable deal on through a friends leftovers. Both end up close to the same price so am thinking that the larger motor dialed down might be better off then the smaller motor pump....?

Pentair - IntelliFlo 011028, 3HP Variable Speed

Pentair IntelliFlo i1 Variable Speed Pump VS+ 1HP | Time Clock Included | 011059

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.