Help! Cloudy water & stagnant test numbers

Jun 28, 2016
UT
Hi Fellow TFPoolers! Thanks so much in advance for your help.

Hopefully I’ve added the (PoolMath) link to ‘My Pool’ correctly - where my info and recent test numbers can be found.

If not, please let me know and I’ll post the numbers ‘by hand’.

Is it possible that the chems in my kit have expired? (Purchased July 2020.) Followed the instructions perfectly, even repeating several times hoping for a different outcome. (Which just happens to be the definition of insanity!)

Brief details include:
Fri 5/28/21 a.m: Opened pool. Water ‘clean’ but cloudy.
Fri p.m: SWG - Added recommended salt (per Pool Math).
Sat a.m: After no significant change, added 24oz bleach (per Pool Math).
Sat p.m: Still no change in FC. More research led me to shock the pool...
still no change!

GAH.
Please advise - Sanity is hanging on by a thread...
BBC
:salut:

11k gallon AGP, Hayward XStream 150 Cartridge, 1.5-HP single speed Power-Flo Pump, Solaxx Saltron Reliant SWG, Hayward 150k BTU NG Heater, Taylor K-2005-SALT test kit

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP, you need to follow the SLAM process. Unfortunately, you don't quite have the right test kit for the SLAM. You need the FAS-DPD chlorine test found in the Taylor K2006. The K2005 doesn't have it. You can order just the chlorine portion separately though. You need the R0870 and R0871 reagents. The R0870 is the white powder that you put into your sample which turns the sample pink (if it has any chlorine in it) and the R0871 is the drops that you put in and count until the sample goes fully clear. This chlorine test gives you way more precision which you will need to perform the SLAM process correctly.

SLAM Process

BBC,
Hi and welcome, So atleast you have a reliable test kit there, are using the poolmath app and also have your signature done which is unusual for a new member with "1" post but hey I wish all were so fast. To begin here at TFP we keep people out of the pool stores where the advice is far from reality or good. You may have something called algae in the water and we call getting rid of it "SLAM". I suggest you read pool school and get more familiar how things work. Now I'm not sure how long the chlorine lasted but will assume since you had FC of 0 the algae is eating and consuming it. You can do an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) by bringing the FC to target level per the Chlorine/ cya chart and treat your pool until you are through this process like a normal chlorine pool. In the chart you'll be following the NON SWCG chart per the 30ppm CYA. There's minimum and there's target.You want the target level. If the OCLT doesn't hold you'll need to slam.

Welcome to TFP, you need to follow the SLAM process. Unfortunately, you don't quite have the right test kit for the SLAM. You need the FAS-DPD chlorine test found in the Taylor K2006. The K2005 doesn't have it. You can order just the chlorine portion separately though. You need the R0870 and R0871 reagents. The R0870 is the white powder that you put into your sample which turns the sample pink (if it has any chlorine in it) and the R0871 is the drops that you put in and count until the sample goes fully clear. This chlorine test gives you way more precision which you will need to perform the SLAM process correctly.

SLAM Process
Hi Dean, thanks!

I realized after reading your post - about adding the white powder - that I did indeed use the FAS-DPD reagents to arrive at those FC numbers. I'd purchased the FAS-DPD kit in the past and simply stored the R0870 and R0871 in my K-2005. Oops! (Although the K-2005 doesn't include those bottles, it lists the instructions for using them.)

Though I've read nearly every article here at TFP (it becomes obsessive, right?!) I'll go back and read about SLAMing more thoroughly now that it applies to my own pool ;)

I sure appreciate your timely response,
Bonnie

BBC,
Hi and welcome, So atleast you have a reliable test kit there, are using the poolmath app and also have your signature done which is unusual for a new member with "1" post but hey I wish all were so fast. To begin here at TFP we keep people out of the pool stores where the advice is far from reality or good. You may have something called algae in the water and we call getting rid of it "SLAM". I suggest you read pool school and get more familiar how things work. Now I'm not sure how long the chlorine lasted but will assume since you had FC of 0 the algae is eating and consuming it. You can do an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) by bringing the FC to target level per the Chlorine/ cya chart and treat your pool until you are through this process like a normal chlorine pool. In the chart you'll be following the NON SWCG chart per the 30ppm CYA. There's minimum and there's target.You want the target level. If the OCLT doesn't hold you'll need to slam.
Hi,

Thanks for your help. I agree, I'd never visit a pool store for advice, I know I'd walk out with less money than I arrived with! I've simply never needed any guidance until this year's opening. I'm not a new member but a new 'poster' so I've read most of the Pool School articles (as well as hundreds and hundreds of Q&As!) However, in my newbie head, none seemed to apply directly to what I'm seeing, hence my venturing into the world of posting.
Fortunately, I've never had to deal with algae, but I've read a number of good articles. Could you please help me understand more thoroughly... If there are high numbers present, I ASSume (hehe) the water would show as slightly green, brown, or yellowish? The water in my pool is cloudy but has no noticeable color change. Also, when I climbed in to brush, brush, brush, and vacuum, the floor and walls weren't overly slimy.

'The man' wonders if it might be the (only 10-month-old) SWG cell?

* I used the FAS-DPD test to arrive at the numbers listed in my log.
I'll continue to familiarize myself with SLAM and proceed.

Thanks again,
Bonnie

Hey BBC 👋
Just so u understand- your swg isn’t designed to overcome algae or raise fc to target levels FC/CYA Levels from zero- just maintain normal daily chlorine demand.
Cloudy water w/ no fc is indicative of algea so u definitely need to do the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 end of slam criteria as stated above to eradicate the algea. Cooler weather/water & the fact it has been covered may be part of the reason it’s not green/ brown yet. Hopefully you’ve caught it quickly & your slam won’t take too long since u don’t yet have a green monster .
After u pass all the criteria your swg can once again take over the daily job of chlorinating your pool. 😊 happy slamming!

Hey BBC 👋
Just so u understand- your swg isn’t designed to overcome algae or raise fc to target levels FC/CYA Levels from zero- just maintain normal daily chlorine demand.
Cloudy water w/ no fc is indicative of algea so u definitely need to do the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 end of slam criteria as stated above to eradicate the algea. Cooler weather/water & the fact it has been covered may be part of the reason it’s not green/ brown yet. Hopefully you’ve caught it quickly & your slam won’t take too long since u don’t yet have a green monster .
After u pass all the criteria your swg can once again take over the daily job of chlorinating your pool. 😊 happy slamming!
Summer Thank You GIF by chiara

Reactions: Mdragger88
Could you post a full set of test results. Then we'll know for sure what is happening in the water. Plus, we need that all important CYA #. It pretty much drives everything.

Since you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test that you bought separately, you now, in effect, have the Taylor K2006.;)

Could you post a full set of test results. Then we'll know for sure what is happening in the water. Plus, we need that all important CYA #. It pretty much drives everything.

Since you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test that you bought separately, you now, in effect, have the Taylor K2006.;)
Dean, would you mind following the link to my logs in my original post, that would be helpful and save me some time, thanks again!

Great, didn't see those before. Well, it looks like you can just SLAM away with liquid chlorine. Raise FC to 12ppm and KEEP it there by retesting as often as possible. Every couple of hours is best, especially if you lose FC rapidly. Eventually it will start holding longer and longer and then you can go longer between testing. Make sure you brush the walls and floors really well once a day because algae can form a protective coating over it to help fight off effects of the chlorine. Brushing will break through that and insure you kill it off.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey again, Dean,

Thanks one more time for your help. Things seem to be progressing nicely on my first SLAM.

FC tested @ 8ppm just before dark. I'll need to raise a bit more in the a.m. (Target 10ppm according to The Chlorine/CYA Chart.)

Given that it's dark now, would this be an opportunity to perform/record the OCLT, or is it too early in the SLAM process for that?

Also, I have my solar cover in place to prevent solids from entering during this process. Would this be interfering with any of the tests?

Thanks a bunch!

Good night,
Bonnie

ps, I have logged all the numbers into PoolMath. If you'd like to see them, I'll post the link.

It would be best to get at least 10 ppm CYA into the water to get you to 30 ppm. Then remove the solar cover during the day to let the CC burn off.

Reactions: BBCinUT
It would be best to get at least 10 ppm CYA into the water to get you to 30 ppm. Then remove the solar cover during the day to let the CC burn off.
I wouldn't even attempt the OCLT unless your water looks crystal clear for sure. That's one of the 3 criteria for ending the SLAM, so without it, you already know that you're not done.
Thank you guys for helping out!

Dean, the water was perfectly clear at the final test last night, YAY. However, this morning's numbers were the telltale sign. Overnight, the FC went from 8ppm to 4ppm. [insert swear word]. Those nasty cooties got my hopes up with the water clarity! It's certainly a painstaking process... also a great test for our patience, yes? :)

Added another 100oz bleach this morn and will retest in a few hrs. Plan to buy/add stabilizer and continue testing with better CYA levels, thanks, Marty.

Crossing my fingers that the grandgirls can swim in the next few days.

Good Day!
Bonnie

Check any nooks and crannies where algae may be hiding like under a ladder or the pool light niche and scrub those areas really well. Also check the skimmer throat as well and anywhere that you think doesn't get great water circulation, like maybe the stairs or any corner. Keep that FC at SLAM level and try that OCLT again tonight. You'll get there.

Even if you don't completely pass the OCLT, you can still let the grandkids swim as long as the water is clear(you can see the bottom), pH is in the 7's and your FC is at or below SLAM level. Perfectly safe.

Check any nooks and crannies where algae may be hiding like under a ladder or the pool light niche and scrub those areas really well. Also check the skimmer throat as well and anywhere that you think doesn't get great water circulation, like maybe the stairs or any corner. Keep that FC at SLAM level and try that OCLT again tonight. You'll get there.

Even if you don't completely pass the OCLT, you can still let the grandkids swim as long as the water is clear(you can see the bottom), pH is in the 7's and your FC is at or below SLAM level. Perfectly safe.
Great info, Dean, thanks. Funny, I was just now wondering how safe it is to do the required vacuuming while the FC is so high!
Fortunately, my water is still crystal. I can see little piles of brown on the floor, HA, those little buggers are dying off. [wicked witch cackle!]

It's our hottest day so far this year so I look forward to cooling down and relaxing with the vacuum. (Do other pool owners find it as 'zen' as I do - or am I as odd as I'm told!!!

Good Day.
BC

Do other pool owners find it as 'zen' as I do - or am I as odd as I'm told!!!
I always vac’d with a snorkel mask while swimming. It was 95% swimming and 5% work. And I got a WAY better view of what I was doing and what still needed more doing.

The unforeseen added bonus was that slightly below the water surface was serenely quiet and peaceful. While swimming and crossing a boring ‘chore’ off the list.

I also couldn’t hear my teenage daughters out-hormone-ing each other in the house. Ignorance was truely bliss.

I always vac’d with a snorkel mask while swimming. It was 95% swimming and 5% work. And I got a WAY better view of what I was doing and what still needed more doing.

The unforeseen added bonus was that slightly below the water surface was serenely quiet and peaceful. While swimming and crossing a boring ‘chore’ off the list.

I also couldn’t hear my teenage daughters out-hormone-ing each other in the house. Ignorance was truely bliss.
How funny, I've always done that. But I'm in the middle of SLAM so I thought I'd keep my face out of the water. We're avid divers, which is one of the reasons I know exactly that peace which you speak of! Teenage daughters would certainly be another reason 🤫

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.