HELP Closing AGP, with minimal water loss....

Jun 27, 2016
Indiana
OK, so I am no stranger to closing the pool, as we have had it now 5 years. However, I am tired of adding water to it every Spring! We live on a well, and it takes FOREVER to add, and by the time it is full enough to run, the water is green. I am tired of adding water! So how can I close the pool this year without draining the water level? I have a "micro mesh" cover that I use, as we have a ton of leaves from living in the woods. Please advise some different techniques. Thanks.

Have you seen the faceplate kits that plug the skimmer mouth ? They attach to the water side and don’t allow water to enter so you would keep your water level and only need to drain excess rain water so you don’t overflow. I drain my excess right before the winter freeze because once it freezes it is what it is until it melts. If you plug the skimmer faceplate and return you basically have a big bucket and can remove the hoses/equipment on the outside for the winter.

Reactions: MommaHuffman
I hate to have to worry about pumping water off all the time
With a mesh cover you will have that problem either way. The only difference will be not worrying about the skimmer freezing and damaging the wall when the melting ice shifts, so you won’t have to keep it drained below the skimmer and subsequently having to refill in the spring.

We live on a well, and it takes FOREVER to add, and by the time it is full enough to run, the water is green.

I can’t help with your closing question, but I did want to mention that in the spring if you do need to add large quantities of water and it takes a while there’s no reason that you can’t add liquid chlorine to keep the pool clear even before it’s full enough to run. Just add some chlorine each day and use a brush to mix the water around a bit until you’re ready to start running the pump.

Reactions: Mdragger88
+1. Or start adding water early if you know it takes a few days. I’m surprised the April showers don’t fill it for you. I drain mine twice considerably in the off season and it’s full to the brim at opening again with the mesh cover.

I only close when the water temp goes below 50 degrees and I open when the water reaches 50 degrees my water has been clear for 5 years... I also take my water to SLAM levels just before closing and also 1 time in Jan/Feb when I have no ice in the pool... When I open in Mar I also take it back to SLAM level and add when it drops to FC 7 :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.