meestahmarc

Jun 7, 2018
Paramus, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi - I have a Hayward DE 4820, I am struggling (read several trips to Lowes, which is really close to my house) to find a way to get the backwash hose clamped onto this unit.

The backwash port is threaded and 2", the overall external diameter is 2.5". I tried the 2" backwash hose, I tried several sorts of connectors... nothing worked. I returned it all and now am looking for help.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/Manual362.pdf?fromCDN=true

- - - Updated - - -

Would to be able to hook up a 2" 50' backwash hose to let the water run down hill out of my yard.

is this it. Thank you

M.I.TAIL 50
2" POLY. HOSE TAIL MALE

- - - Updated - - -

not sure where to actually find that. hard to imagine these aren't readily available at pool stores or online shops. huh

thanks. that looks promising, but I think my port is 2". maybe I can get a connector that will step down... I never actually have been able to get something to fit into that drain port. I thought I bought 2" plug but it was too big. i also thought I bought a 1.5" plug and that was too small... nice thing about lowes is the returns are easy. Ill buy a bunch more parts and with this piece I should be able to get something going so i can backwash before I close my pool. THANK YOU

Thanks Richard. Lowes had these, and the adapter actually fit and I got the 1.5" hose... I bought two adapters to have a spare.
A hose clamp is a good idea to hold the hose onto the adaptor.

Tip #2: carefully unroll that backwash hose and ensure the curves are as broad as you can get them and that there are no twists or kinks. It's worth spending the ten minutes or so. Once you open the valve and throw the switch, the hose will inflate really fast, and kinks or twists won't straighten. The hose will pop. And it will pop in a bad spot and spew gallons and gallons of filthy backwash water all over.

Thank you. I plan to follow your guidance and spend a few minutes on the hose!

When I am done for the season do you suggest I roll the hose back up and put it in my shed or just leave it out hanging.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you. I plan to follow your guidance and spend a few minutes on the hose!

When I am done for the season do you suggest I roll the hose back up and put it in my shed or just leave it out hanging.
I roll my hose up around a roll of duct tape. It's a nuisance, but it keeps it in good condition. Roll it loose and you can slip the tape out. Mine only gets unrolled twice a year or so. I wouldn't want it just laying in the way the rest of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.