Help any and all info is needed for installation of a 21 ft round ABG pool!!!

When I ordered new coping strips and a liner for our pool (I didn't know for sure what kind it was either) - I went to pool supplies dot com and selected the type of coping and they had a chart that told me how many pieces that I needed and I just ordered that many.

You will need to know what kind of coping you need - flat or round or there are some other options.

I'm sorry, I don't know what kind of pool you have. I do want to say that the liner may not make it as they can get hard and stiff once the water is removed. That's just how liners are once they have water in them and it's removed for tear down and such. It's also a big reason why we don't advocate draining above ground pools for cleaning and refilling. They can shrink up before your very eyes leaving you wondering what happened.

It seems like you are missing some pieces to set up the pool if what you posted is all there is. I would strongly suggest that you find someone local to you that has set up a pool before that might help you at least figure out how it goes together. You could also try watching some you tube videos about site preparation and putting in a liner ... they helped me a lot.

You could try a Google image search for "above ground pool" there are lots of images and you might just spot your pool. Also, you could provide the pump info because some companies always include a certain type of pump with their pools. Finally, the type of AGP is not quite as critical as the steps to assemble one. Watch a video or two for help with parts identification. Then start watching videos to determine assembly steps.

I do not think it has been mentioned but the likelihood of reusing a liner that has already been cut is difficult at best. The liner has stretched from the weight of the water and it does not shrink back when the water is removed. From all that I have read, I am convinced a new liner is going to be needed.

Actually, liners that have been used do shrink up once the water is removed. They become brittle and lose their stretching abilities to reuse them. The longer they're left to dry out, the worse they become to reuse. They are, however, great to use as weed barriers around the pool and elsewhere. :mrgreen:

ok so while trying to brainstorm and looking around at things I have on hand I have an idea and I wonder if anyone has tried it before. I have 4 4x8 sheets of Styrofoam insulation. would that work as foam under the pool and would I still need sand? has anyone tried this? any suggestions or thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok so been very busy these last week here is a link showing my progress so far. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101877237636054858462/albums/6008196840931512305 still not sure what brand or type of pool I have but I did learn the hard way after getting the ground ready and was starting the frame the next day that it is bigger than my old pool, back to the drawing board doing my ground and I had it so pretty and level! after bringing in clay sand and getting my ground cover down I got the frame up with the help of a neighbor and later on my brother in law. seeing as we all had just a general idea but no specific knowledge to assembling a pool it went better than I expected but I am sure that somehow somewhere there was an easier way to do it. anyway I was looking around online on night and had an idea so I am going to try it. instead of buying the cove strips because I really don't have the $100 for it I bought pool noodles, you know the ones you play with in the pool? I cut them in half long way and using double sided sticky tape as my adhesive strips am using that for cove. ran out of daylight but I plan on posting pics when I get them down. i'll post more as I go. any info and advice is always wanted/needed/appreciated. thanks and stay tuned!

Well Becky... I do believe you will be the first ever to use pool noodles as cove. I have no idea how that will work out so you'll have to keep us updated on that little experiment! :lol: I hope you did not add fill to your base to set the pool on. If you did, you will find out very quickly that the weight of the pool will compact the fill and knock the pool off level.

ok finally an update! just wanted to let it be known that I did reuse the original liner that sat out for about a year and it will work.they can be reused however sand must be added for a proper fit again if it has shrunk..i used it all last summer and once again this summer..so just saying for those of you in a similar situation, don't loose hope!

DiD you patch the skimmer and return holes or did you line them up?

Hi Casey, sorry it's been a while since I was on here but I used original holes and they lined back up..the only thing I had to do was build my sand up under liner because it did shrink some but all I had to do was make it a little more shallow..I will say though that if you are in the position I was in then a few inches less to swim in don't matter...I live in southern Louisiana so it's always hot and humidity is an everyday all day constant..I used the original liner for one summer, closed pool for winter and replaced with a liner I bought online for $100....which I thought was an excellent price...it's still going strong after 2 winters and this will be it's 2 summer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.