Help an idiot out.

Feb 25, 2016
Pleasant View, UT
We have a salt water pool that is plumbed with our hot tub. We had our pool winterized a couple weeks ago and like an idiot I forgot to turn off the chlorinator so it’s been generating chlorine like a boss for our much smaller hot tub. A few days ago I noticed the ph was low (7.1) and so added some soda ash which brought the ph up to 8.1. Decided to finally take some time and test chemicals last night and chlorine was crazy high (30ppm). Decided to just start over and drain the tub.

Now to the question. I’m noticing some corrosion on the metal jets that I’ve never noticed before. I’m assuming from my aforementioned mistake. Is there any way to “fix” them or will I just need to keep the chemical levels good from here out and replace them when they rust through?
Also there is a little rust showing on the hot tub surface. What is the best way to remove that?

773572D8-DA0B-42D9-A529-4A07AA38AA04.jpeg141BF346-0D7B-494E-85FD-101EE9B9A204.jpeg78D6B6B2-A83C-496F-A84B-38B9548CFD5D.jpeg

What is/was your CYA level? The general rule of thumb is that FC at or under your SLAM level is fine on equipment.

As for any potential corrosion marks, you might try rubbing a crushed Vitamin C tablet on them to see if that helps. It might help for simple surface rust stains, but not sure about the distorted appearance embedded in the metal itself. You may have to live with that one. :(

Are you able to remove those metal jet bezels? If the other methods don't work and you're able to remove those bezels then you could place them in a tub of some kind filled with a sodium carbonate solution and then do electrolysis on them using a trickle charger or small DC power supply as a power source. Here's a video that shows you how to do it. I used this method to clean the rust out of a badly rusted portable metal outboard gas tank and it worked like a charm. If you make one of the bezels the cathode using some alligator clips and make sure all of the bezels are touching each other, it should de-rustify all of them at the same time. ;) (y)

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.