Help advice needed.

Jun 22, 2016
Windsor, Ontario
Long time lurker here in need of your assistance, please and thank you.

So we poured a new deck around our pool and had the coping redone both at the end of the season last year. Pretty much after it was finished we closed the pool. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we reused the old coping. Also, there is no caulking around the coping where it meets the deck.

Fast forward to this year, we open the pool and the coping seems like it didn't weather the winter so well. The joints seems like it failing, but worst it seems either the coping has sunk or the concrete deck lifted, and it has done this evenly around the entire perimeter about 1/8th inch difference. There is some ponding/pooling of water along this edge now. One of the attached pictures shows the worst of it. I have mentioned it to the PB and he thinks the concrete lifted. I don't know what to believe, but he said the reason for no caulk is to let the water drain, and he has offered to caulk the joint if I insist. This was all done end of season so everyone has been paid. I'm not too happy overall.

I have concerns and I'm not sure where to go from here.
1. Firstly, that is not supposed to happen right? Any ideas on weather the coping sank, or the concrete lifted?
2. Is there a quick fix? A coping cap or something?
3. Does that joint need to be filled with a flexible caulk? Should I take the pb up on his offer to caulk it?
4. As is will the coping hold or will it pop off soon?
5. Can the coping be replaced to bring up the height?
6. Will it further sink/lift or is that extent of it?

Feeling kinda lost. With my limited knowledge now, I'm leaning towards sealing that joint and dealing with pooling water on the edge of the coping, and a few years down the road changing out the coping if possible?

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

The joint is the pool expansion joint. The pool and the deck are two different structures and need to be able to move independently.

In spite of what your PB said the joint needs to be filled with flexible mastic like...

Over time the joint will get dirt in it if not sealed and you will lose the expansion joint as it becomes solid. Without the expansion joint the deck can put pressure on the coping and cause cracking.

The deck moving depends on your soil and the way it was prepared. Nothing you can do to prevent it at this time. 1/8" is not a big deal. Your ground can move that much due to frost heaves every year. I would not do anything as your pool and deck may shift year to year.

Reactions: wadaheo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.