Help a Mom

Stephemara

May 19, 2022
Evansville Indians
Finally got the pool up and cleaning it up.

shocked with 6lbs the other day

Current reading with Taylor kit is

Chlorine 0
PH 7
TA 120

6500gal index with pump

Pool math says
1 gal bleach
3lbs borax

Water is cloudy but bluish - can’t see bottom clearly. Running pump constantly right now.

Help

It's alot to take in. Read it, process it, then read it twice more. Fire off any questions and we'll happily assist. :)

It's alot to take in. Read it, process it, then read it twice more. Fire off any questions and we'll happily assist. :)
Thank you so much. So I have the Taylor K-2006C test kit and I’ve done it twice just to be sure and I am getting 0 FAS-DPD and 0 CYA … the dot is not disappearing at all. When I put it in the SLAM calculator it only goes to 20 CYA. What do you do if you need to go to zero??

What do you do if you need to go to zero??
Welp. That depends on some things. :)

0 CYA and 0 FC raises the possibility of ammonia. So here's what you do. Add 10 ppm FC per poolmath and test in 30 mins. If you have most of it left, we move on. If you lose most of it, it's ammonia. The cure is to repeat 10 ppm doses, testing every 30 minutes until the FC holds. Then we SLAM.

After the ammonia is proved negative, or you killed it, tie up and hang 30 ppm worth of CYA in a sock (s), carrot on a stick like, in front of a return. It will squeeze out some time later.

Target FC for 30 CYA is 12 FC. You'll want to maintain the 12FC as often as it needs to be dosed. If it holds for 6 or 8 hours at a time, great. If it's gone in 2 hours, it needs adding in 2 hours. It usually needs more often in the beginning, then holds better as the process moves along. We all have lives getting in the way, but do the best you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Download PoolMath. It wants your gallons and pool type and then shows all the test parameters. In this case, click on FC (Free Chlorine). Add your start value (0) and your target value (10) and select the type of chlorine you're using. It will tell you how much to add at the bottom.

Do not use household bleach. You need liquid chlorine, or liquid shock, or some combination of those words. Walmart has the best price most place $5.67 for 10% in the pool aisle. Check the date code on the bottle, you prefer 3 months or less, much less of possible.

3. CYA in a sock… is that a powder??
CYA / Cyanuric Acid / stabilizer/ conditioner. The (granual/powder) bag may say any of those. It's also available in the pool aisles / stores. Prices vary so Google who is best today. Make sure the bag says 100% cyanuric acid in the ingredients. Tie up 30 ppm worth per poolmath (click the CYA tab and enter 0 and 30) in front of a working return. Go back after a while and squeeze it to disperse it. It will poof through the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.