Hello!

Pool is doing great! Nice and clear. Except for some iron on the bottom of the pool which I'll vacuum up soon the issue seems to be resolved.

Tested CYA yesterday and got a reading of 50. I will target an additional 20ppm on the next dosing. The other test results are:

FC 3.0
CC 0.0
TA 110
CH 120
pH 7.8

I added around 4 ounces of MA and that lowered the pH to 7.8. Should I test pH daily, 2-3 times per week or weekly? (OK. I see "once you gain experience with your pool, less frequent monitoring may be appropriate.") One thing I noticed is the K-1000 showed 1-2 ppm reading of chlorine while the FAS-DPD test yielded 3.0. Comments? What about the TA reading? OK. I just read how to lower TA by adding MA to target 7.0 - 7.2 pH then allowing the SWG to aerate.

I ran the SWG today for the first time since setting up the pool. I'll monitor chlorine levels closely for the next week or so to get a clear picture of chlorine production and usage. Should I aim for 4.0 ppm? (OK. I see 5.0 ppm is recommended for CYA of 70.) Once I have determined the correct necessary run time for the SWG, can I test for chlorine every other day? (OK. I just read that every couple days is ok.)

As long as the water is clear and chlorine levels remain above 3 ppm how often is it recommended to test for chlorine using the FAS-DPD method as well as performing the tests for CC, CYA, TA and CH?

Concerning the SWG, as you may know it produces copper ions that apparently act as an algaecide. I was able to bypass this on the old SWG by unplugging the power to that component. Would you recommend doing the same with the new SWG if I am able?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Mostly this post seems like an exercise to think out loud and find the relevant answers myself. However any comments are appreciated. I do like reading some of the other threads and enjoy the feeling of empowerment people express when they are able to take control of their pool rather than the alternative. Cheers!

Assuming everything is under control and you've got your pool in good shape:

It only takes a couple of minutes to do the color match tests for TC and pH, I do this every day.

FC, CC, TA, CH weekly.

CYA only after major changes (big rains, partial drains, trichlor pucks during vacation, etc.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.