Hello what is the best calcium chloride ice melt to use in vinyl pools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fall back frequently on the "seniority" card......I have read thousands and thousands and thousands of real world examples on this and other forums. Calcium DOES build up in pools and there is 10+ years of posts proving it......search the forum

The detrimental effects of CH being too low has not been reported enough to hardly mention.

Don't tell your pool owning friends in the Southwest that CH doesn't build up.....it is a pretty constant thorn in their side.

Last, this is a teaching forum.....not an arguing forum. Of course you can ignore anything we teach, but you shouldn't expect thousands of experienced pool owners and forum regulars to suddenly "see the light" and come around to your thinking......it just doesn't work like that.

For your particular situation, you should buy the stuff at Leslie's that's specifically for pools. If you are that worried about our advice conflicting with "industry standards" then you should not be trying to find some ice melt for your pool, you should be buying pure calcium chloride from the pool store like they suggest. After all, they are the ones trying to keep your water balanced to the standards that you are holding so incontrovertible, do you think they will approve of using ice melt in your pool?

Best of luck with your pool. Those so strictly adhering to pool store advice typically need all they can get.

Thanks, But...FYI Donldson: That Leslies stuff is simply 94-97% calcium chloride which is the only mineral used to increase calcium in pool water. That is how they make money by having minerals and chemicals packaged using their label and sell it for 5x the price it can be bought for, thus ice melt in pellet form.
Here are some additional answers to your comments:

Calcium chloride sold as Ice melt pellets are the same thing if it is the same purity.
And:
The pool store is not trying to balance my water, I balance my own pool water and that is why it is on the money.

As far asholding so incontrovertible” please read what I wrote: There is a lot of contradicting info out there”

And-No I don’t” think they will approve of using ice melt in your pool” simply because they need to make money- Certainly not from water balancing know how. Have you heard of Buyer Beware!
Also: It goes way beyond the / pool store…look further into it and beyond pool stores that many times employ people that don’t know pool chemistry and you will learn the facts.
I did not ask for advice in my original post when i started this thread. This is what I asked word for word:

“So my question to expert people with experience that actually use calcium chloride ice melt in vinyl pools is, which "ice melt" calcium chloride white pellets is the best and safest to use for vinyl pools?”

Please let me know the brands and purity that have worked well and the brands and purity that have not worked well of the calcium chloride ice melt products.”

Leebo
is the only person who actually added valuable information rather than just - you don’t need calcium in a vinyl pool. Only one person, Demegrad9, actually answered the question, all others were TFT Experts or moderators expressing that calcium is not needed for vinyl pools, manufacturer make ridiculous recommendations. and so on…

And this from jblizzel: “It seems that most pool equipment manufacturers do not have a full grasp on pool chemistry and often make ridiculous recommendations. (Do you/he mean Hayward, one of the top and if not the most respected manufacturer in the industry…doesn’t have scientests and chemestists on their payroll constantly testing their products???)
Please read my original post that started this thread. It would be nice if someone actually answered my question and statement after reading my original explanation of why I asked the question and want feedback…Here it is again:
“So my question to expert people with experience that actually use calcium chloride ice melt in vinyl pools is, which "ice melt" calcium chloride white pellets is the best and safest to use for vinyl pools?”

Please let me know the brands and purity that have worked well and the brands and purity that have not worked well of the calcium chloride ice melt products.”

Thanks Again, LI Mark

I fall back frequently on the "seniority" card......I have read thousands and thousands and thousands of real world examples on this and other forums. Calcium DOES build up in pools and there is 10+ years of posts proving it......search the forum

The detrimental effects of CH being too low has not been reported enough to hardly mention.

Don't tell your pool owning friends in the Southwest that CH doesn't build up.....it is a pretty constant thorn in their side.

Last, this is a teaching forum.....not an arguing forum. Of course you can ignore anything we teach, but you shouldn't expect thousands of experienced pool owners and forum regulars to suddenly "see the light" and come around to your thinking......it just doesn't work like that.

How they let it become a thorn in their side I don't know but surely not from staying on top of balancing the calcium in their pool water...

No argument here. Nor asking anyone "to see the light" This is the question in my original post"

Weather or not people put calcium in their vinyl liner pools is their choice, but the facts remain that scientific facts are scientific facts.

It doesn’t matter, as long as the active ingredient is calcium chloride and there’s no metals they’re all the same.

Weather or not people put calcium in their vinyl liner pools is their choice, but the facts remain that scientific facts are scientific facts.
I’ve seen multiple statements of articles found but no scientific facts pointing to calcium being needed in vinyl pools. On the flip side I have pointed to many scientific reasons why it’s not.

I find it amusing that your question starts with "expert people" and then you turn around and dismiss what they tell you :)

Your question has been answered multiple times. Just check the ingredients on what you want to buy

I find it amusing that your question starts with "expert people" and then you turn around and dismiss what they tell you :)

Your question has been answered multiple times. Just check the ingredients on what you want to buy

I'm not amused. You don't make sense. Read the question, not part of it to understand it. This is what I asked: “So my question to expert people with experience that actually use calcium chloride ice melt in vinyl pools is, which "ice melt" calcium chloride white pellets is the best and safest to use for vinyl pools?”

I Have only seen 1 person's answer this question that actually used CH ice melt in his vinyl liner pool. All others are opinions from those who do not actually use calcium chloride ice melt in a vinyl liner pools, just not to use it, don't use it or don't need it, etc...opinions not based on experience actually using calcium chloride ice melt in vinyl pools - you capisce :)

I think we’re moving around and around in circles here. The answer has been offered multiple times plus why we say what we do. Clearly it’s not what you’re wanting to hear so we’ll all move forward.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.