Hello, new pool owner

Bradenwb

Jul 13, 2020
Minnesota
Hello, been looking over this site for a few weeks before we closed on our new home with a pool this week. had a TF100 ready to go!

Previous owner was using Clorox trichloro tabs in skimmers as well as shock, Algaecide, and “clear”. I am looking to switch everything to the TFP method. I expected I may have high CYA and I did.

Here are the TF100 test results:
FC: 9.5
CC: .5
TC: 10
pH: 6.8
TA: 180
Ch: 450
CYA: 100

Per pool math I need to add more chlorine to raise FC and borax to raise pH. I need to aerate to lower TA. I’m also going to have to do a pool transfusion to lower CYA, which I read about in the draining how-to.

is there anything I’m missing? what order should I go in? I assume I aerate to lower TA before raising pH? Should I do the transfusion first as it may lower TA and need less aerating?

thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forum!
100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.
Aeration should raise the pH quickly with your higher TA. Do realize your TA may have tested higher than actual. " Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop. "
Determine your actual CYA and decide what you are going to do to lower it. I would not chemically mess with pH or TA until you do that process.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

4 hours later with some swimming:

FC: 8.5
CC: .5
TC: 9
pH: 6.8
TA: 130
CH: 325
CYA: 140

FC is dropping. I’m going to take care of the CYA tomorrow. Is draining from one end, and filling from other, the best bet for solving?

Knowing I’m at 140 and 22k gallons does that mean I need to replace 15k gallons? CYA is 1:1, correct?

Also, should I be adding FC daily as I do this to maintain?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.