Hello / looking for advice with giant pool project

May 22, 2017
Santa Cruz, CA
Hello all,

I'm excited about joining this forum - I am a complete newbie and have taken on a very large pool project; found this forum while looking for some pool information and it looks like exactly what I need.

Here's some background: I moved into my current home in July 2016, which has a 56K+ gallon, unheated pool built in the 1940's and in desperate need of a make-over. The pool is deep (3 to 8') and cold, so didn't get much use last summer; cement walls with several sealed cracks and paint that is chalking off. The original equipment is old - commercial sand filters, 3HP fixed-speed pump, SINGLE skimmer, etc. very expensive to operate.

I want to completely renovate at a reasonable cost, but have had difficulty finding a pool building that wants to take this on (I assume they prefer new builds to renovations) and so I find myself playing general contractor with some various help - I'm pretty handy so know I can do this, but am new to pools, so hoping this forum can help me avoid some of the obvious, easy mistakes. Here's what I'm doing:

- changing the 56K+ gallon oval shape to a 39K gallon kidney-bean shape by adding a 53ft concrete wall. I'm working with a concrete contractor who has never worked on a pool
- in the dimple of the kidney bean that I adding there will be a 6' baja shelf 1' deep along the entire wall, and a built-in cement spa. I found a book / video / online consultant to order the spa components through. the spa systems are completely separate from the pool
- I do have a pool company who will then come in and fiberglass both the pool and spa, add trim tile, split the drain, etc. and replace all of the equipment. They didn't want to do the concrete work, which is why I took that on separately
- I will be adding solar heat, 20-25' slide, diving board, lighting etc, on my own

I uploaded a few pics and my plan so that people can hopefully get a visual. I had a few initial questions that I was hoping to get feedback on before filling the block wall with concrete this Friday:
1. I was going to add a couple of Hayward skim-masters in the new wall and separately plumb them back to equipment room with valves, so that they can be balanced with the existing skimmer - thoughts on placement?
2. I am adding 4 LED color logic lights in the new wall - was going to space evenly along the wall and 6" down the top of the baja shelf, which will be 18" below the water. I think this should make the baja shelf visible at night but would like feedback
3. does anybody see any major issues with what I'm attempting to do?

Thanks!

Vic

Attachments

• IMG_1121.JPG-1.jpg
    IMG_1121.JPG-1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_1167.JPG-1.jpg
    IMG_1167.JPG-1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Pool4 CAD.pdf
    48 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1394.JPG.jpg
    IMG_1394.JPG.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 179
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Looks like you are off to a good start on a daunting but doable project. Interesting that you're going with a fiberglass finish rather than plaster/gunite. Will be interesting to see that part of the installation.

As far as your questions:
1 - Skimmer placement depends on a bit on where your returns are located and what you think those returns will be able to generate in terms of surface flow. There are two main options when it comes to skimming action. First being that you try to generate a clockwise or counter-clockwise surface flow around the entire pool using your returns. That may be difficult in a kidney shaped pool. What I would suggest is placing the skimmers across the pool from returns that can be aimed toward them. You want to try to maximize flow past the skimmers if possible. The number and relative location of your returns would be helpful to know as well.

2 - Spacing the lights equally on the new curved wall should nicely light up the entire pool. Reflective light should be enough to light the baja shelf for visibility at night. One thing to keep in mind about light placement is the direction they face relative to the house or sitting area. If possible, lights pointing away from the typical sitting area and/or the house are more pleasing since there isn't glare or direct light in your eyes when viewing the pool. It looks like lights placed in the new wall point away from the retaining wall side, which is toward the house?

3 - I have not tackled a project like this and I applaud you for going after it. Be sure to check out the Under Construction forum for more ideas. There's a lot of great info in some of the build threads. If you search for remodel or other relevant terms in that forum, you'll likely get some good threads to peruse.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback, Joel

I did have several pool refinishers look at the pool and ALL recommended fiberglass over plaster/gunite - the existing surface is so old and non-uniform that they were worried about new plaster adhering well, whereas fiberglass is basically a "pool within a pool" - mostly just needs the support of the walls.

I added returns to my drawing - they're basically at opposite ends and then the main floor drain. When I position the new skimmers in the wall before pouring, I will try to align with the returns - thanks again.

The house is upper left in my drawing (above date) so yes, lights point away from the house.

Vic

My brain cannot properly comprehend the size of your pool. We need a bigger-sounding name than pool. Or maybe just POOL. lol. I cannot provide any meaningful help, but I have subscribed to your thread because I am anxious to follow you along on your journey! I'll be part of your cheerleading squad!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.