Hello from the Bluegrass

mteator

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2017
Nicholasville, KY
I've been lurking around for a few months as I've gotten into the swing of things with a new-to-me pool that came with a home purchase. I grew up always having pools so I sorta knew what I was getting in to, but having my own I really wanted to understand it.

I got a K2006 test kit and test PH and FC/CC often, and the whole suite once a week. I had a pool company open it first week of May as I was out of town and needed to get started, after which I had about 3" of foam on it and a CYA of 400+ (it would read 100 on my test kit with a 3:1 dilution). After multiple drains of about 18" down to enough where I started to fear for the liner and some rain I'm now down to a CYA of 100 (testing with a 1:1 dilution). I keep FC right now as close to 8 as I can and I haven't had any issues yet, hopefully I can get the CYA down further as the summer goes on. It would be easier if I could drain more water, but not willing to risk it.

Here's my current set of numbers:

Temp: 86F (it'll be 89-90 by late afternoon)
FC: 8.5
CC: .5 or less (using the 10ml sample) just barely gets some pink that one drop wipes out.
PH: 7.5
TA: 90
CH: 120
CYA: 100

The sand is about 4 years old from what I understand, same as the liner. Can't check it easily as it's hard plumbed, no unions. The valves for the skimmer and main drain were leaking tons of air through the handles so I've glue'd them up tight for now and will replace all that plumbing later in the year and do new sand at the same time.

IMG_20170624_101925.jpg

How many acres is that? What kind of mower do you have? I have 6.5 acres and run two mowers LOL one is a 50" cut and the other is a 54" cut. It is SO nice to have the pool to jump into when we get hot! Jump in, cool off and back to mowing!

LOVE your pool set up! That is pretty! You are doing a great job working through what you bought into. Nice job!!!

Kim:kim:

You bought your own piece of heaven on earth for sure!

Back to the pool and equipment. With no unions we know the sand has not been "deep cleaned" BUT so long as it is filtering and you do a back wash & rinse when the pressure rises 25% from the clean pressure you should be good. We don't replace our sand here at TFP as most of the time it is not needed. Here is a link to deep cleaning a sand filter:

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Of course it is up to you. If you want to replace it your are welcome to. Let us know so we can give you some tips to make it easier.

Do you know what valves to get when you are ready to redo your plumbing?

You bought your own piece of heaven on earth for sure!

Back to the pool and equipment. With no unions we know the sand has not been "deep cleaned" BUT so long as it is filtering and you do a back wash & rinse when the pressure rises 25% from the clean pressure you should be good. We don't replace our sand here at TFP as most of the time it is not needed. Here is a link to deep cleaning a sand filter:

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Of course it is up to you. If you want to replace it your are welcome to. Let us know so we can give you some tips to make it easier.

Do you know what valves to get when you are ready to redo your plumbing?

Thanks for the link! I think what I'd like to find is some jandy valves, esp if a local store stocks them. I backwash more often then necessary to help with lowering my CYA. I was hoping to have it down to ~40 before the pool hit 90F but couldn't get there fast enough. But having started out at 400+ I'm happy where I'm at. Tomorrow I plan on doing another drain of 18".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support