Hello from Scottsdale, Arizona

Mar 28, 2017
Az
Hey guys,

Been a long time reader since I bought my new home but never posted anything until now. I'm a big DIY'er and enjoy learning new skills.

I used the site to guide me through acid & chlorine washing my pool as well as what to do about my sand (replace vs. clean). Working through Pool School right now and pulling all the info I can to update my sig.

Currently have an issue with the pool being cloudy and looking for a second set of eyes on what to do with aging equipment as well as overall help with maintenance.

----> started new thread for chems TF-100 just arrived! Check out my chemistry <----

TFP ftw!

I currently have the Taylor Tech K-1004. Correct me if I'm wrong but I wont be able to test for CH & CYA with this kit. Based on what I've researched so far, l either need to supplement with additional testing kits or replace it all-together (I'm open to suggestions).

I'll run a test when I get home.

FYI: I bought new reagents for the Chlorine and PH tests this month (3/15/17).

I currently have the Taylor Tech K-1004. Correct me if I'm wrong but I wont be able to test for CH & CYA with this kit. Based on what I've researched so far, l either need to supplement with additional testing kits or replace it all-together (I'm open to suggestions).

I'll run a test when I get home.

FYI: I bought new reagents for the Chlorine and PH tests this month (3/15/17).

Nope... that kit only tests FC up to 5ppm. Wayyyy too low/limited for our use. And it isn't testing for CH or CYA.
You can add to that kit to make it an approved kit by adding:
TFTestkits.net for $17
TFTestkits.net for $30
TFTestkits.net for $3.18
TFTestkits.net for $5
TFTestkits.net for $5.25
==================
$60.43

Or you can just get the Primo Numero Uno test kit, The TF-100 for $70 that contains it all and you'll be in fine shape probably for two years worth of testing.
TFTestkits.net

You have a plaster pool. You NEED to monitor your CH level to protect that plaster. The thing is- the kit saves you a fortune by not wasting money on unnecessary chemicals.

Yip :flower:

Below is the most recent test results from the K-1004. My CYA has to be low since im churning through 10% liquid chlorine even on a over cast day like today. I added 3/4 Gal 10% liquid chlorine after this mornings test showed <.5 FC.

FC: .50

CC: .50
pH: 7.2
TA: 60ppm
CH: unable to test yet
CYA: unable to test yet

Pics from the morning of 3/19/17.

PH was right on at 7.2 but FC dropped below <.5 again so I added a Gallon of 10% liquid chlorine. From what I've read so far, it sounds like I'm barely holding off another algae bloom and/or I'm losing chlorine due to low CYA.

Cant wait for that test kit to come in so I can stop throwing darts in the dark, blind folded, left handed and hanging upside-down.

deep end.JPG
steps.JPG

Ordered some skimmer socks, D.E. and Clorox Stabilizer which should be delivered by the time I get home! Also picked up 10 gallons of 10% HDX liquid shock from HD last night (they must of just stocked a new pallet since I took the first five boxes off of it).

FC was back to <.5 when I got home yesterday so I added in the first gallon at 6:00pm and the 2nd gallon at 11:00pm. Ph was 7.2 before I added the chlorine.

I'm starting to see the water clearing up and dead algae building up in little drifts. I'm going to throw the vacuum in with a skimmer sock on the inline basket I have and see how much can actually be pulled out of the pool tonight. After that, I'll leave a skimmer sock on the skimmer basket overnight which hopefully wont cause any issues due to 95% of the suction diverted to the main drain.

Once the TF-100 comes in, we should have a baseline and figure out where CYA is and where FC will need to be kept at moving forward until the pool clears!

I just want to SLAM already...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check the date codes on the jugs of liquid chlorine (Julian date) to confirm they're newer than 3 months or so. Don't buy any if its been stored outside in the hot sunny garden center as it degrades quickly out there.

Yippee :flower:

Yup! The HD by my office keeps the all the pool & garden chems inside on that last row before the garden center. Looks like they pull stock from the top rows of the shelving area which doesn't seem safe to but it is above all the DE.

#oshaproblems

Still waiting on my TF-100 :poke:

Since I ordered, the pool back to almost perfectly clear. So far it just needed the original sand deep cleaned, chlorine, a little muriatic acid & some D.E. along with a pair of panty hose.

Panty hose to use as skimmer socks I take it?

We should have told you to order your TF-100 from PoolSupplyWorld.com They're closet to you and you'd probably have gotten it faster.

You're doing well it sounds though.... such a good student! Gold Star for effort. :salut:

Yippee :flower:

Thanks YP! This site is sweet, I knew very little about pool care and was spending too much at Leslies every three-four weeks without making any headway.

I'll let the ordering slide ;)

This is what came out of my sand when I deep cleaned it a while back (notice the penny for reference). The larger chunks came from the first clean and the smaller ones from every subsequent cleaning. Just prior to adding DE, I was pulling out very small clumps when I popped the filter top every night. I feel confident this type of cleaning isn't needed anymore as the sand looked perfect on Sunday.
D95063F1-A4AC-4ECF-8745-F9EC2D7477EE.jpg

It was incredible feeling to break up what felt like dinner plate size/shaped clumps of sand during the first clean. The main buildup was in the bed and side walls and eventually started to settle more uniformly as the algae dissipated. I'm confident the sand was original!

P.S. Wish there was the same exact site setup but for plant and lawn care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support