Hello from Richmond, VA!

IrishEyesSmiling

Bronze Supporter
May 29, 2016
Richmond, VA
We are close to signing a contract for an 15'x30' AG buried 2'. We will extend our deck to go around pool with steps going in all directions. I would love to have the deck go over the top of the pool so we can sit on the edge but am reading access will be hard for liner change down the road. Meeting with the contractor tomorrow so will find out more. We want to add a hot tub in front of left window by deck - but will probably wait till fall to do that. Any and all advise is welcome - would much rather prevent an issue rather than fix it later.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_c09.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_c09.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 80
  • fullsizeoutput_c0a.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_c0a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 81
T,

Just want to welcome you to TFP... A Great resource for all you pool questions... :snorkle:

Thanks for joining our group.

Now is the time to be thinking how you plan to chlorinate your pool..

Jim R.

Just wanted to update this thread with our experience so far. Pool and equipment were purchased April 1st. Contractor came to dig almost 3 weeks later on April 20th but had to stop because he hit a stump.
IMG_0129.jpg

Tree guy came that afternoon to the remove the stump but a scattered storm rolled through that night so contractor couldn't finish up the next day. And then it CONTINUED to rain at least once a week for the next several weeks. Mud pit was drained over and over...I was close to creating a mud wrestling team and sell admission tickets - might as well make lemonade right? :splash:
IMG_0138.jpg

But I didn't start my mud wrestling career...weather cleared up enough for the contractor to come half days four weeks later on May 18 & 19th.
IMG_0204.jpgIMG_0209.jpg

And what what do you think happens next? MORE RAIN! :hammer:
IMG_0231.jpg

Sunday two weeks later (June 4th) ground is dry. Pool is up and filling with water. Oh happy days! :bounce:
Took three days to fill. Contractor came back on the 10th to backfill and the 13th to hook up equipment.
IMG_0298.jpg

And what do you know....MORE RAIN! Looks like we're going to have a drainage issue.
IMG_0303.jpg

Almost three weeks later on June 28th the deck build begins and finishes on the July 3rd. Below pic's are recent photos.
IMG_0426.jpgIMG_0427.jpg

Pending tasks are to stain the deck, dig a french drain and landscape around pool. But I find that I'd rather be in the water. :swim: As it cools down maybe I'll get more productive. I want to mention that I don't think this pool is rated for 1/2 burial and I'm not sure how it will hold up but I took the contractors word that he could make it work (he put insulation panels between ground and pool).

Just seeing this, and it looks great. How are you liking it a year down the road? Any thing you'd do different? I'm going this route (partial buried) next year; at least that's the plan right now. I'm looking at Pool Factory for the pool, but have been by a couple local pool places. Pools from them are so much more expensive! How did you find your contractor to do the pool? That's my biggest concern of buying a pool online. Are you loving the oval? I leaning that direction bc I like to swim laps. Sorry all the questions, just not many partial buried AGP posts to look thru (or I just don't know where to search for them LOL)

Just seeing this, and it looks great. How are you liking it a year down the road? Any thing you'd do different? I'm going this route (partial buried) next year; at least that's the plan right now. I'm looking at Pool Factory for the pool, but have been by a couple local pool places. Pools from them are so much more expensive! How did you find your contractor to do the pool? That's my biggest concern of buying a pool online. Are you loving the oval? I leaning that direction bc I like to swim laps. Sorry all the questions, just not many partial buried AGP posts to look thru (or I just don't know where to search for them LOL)

Thank you! I think the only thing I would change is the addition of foam coving and maybe wall padding. Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with the initial build and working on enhancements (like a heater!!). We purchased through a local pool company and used their contractor. BUT - call your local pool stores and ask who they use. The dude who did ours works for most of the local pool shops and had set rates which was nice. If you can buy online and use a local contractor that's the best of both worlds! In our case I think going through a local shop paid off because we had to replace our pump at the end of last season. It just stopped working one day :scratch:.
I love the oval and yes I envisioned swimming laps too....not that I'm doing it as much as I should. 30' for my 5'10" frame is a bit small for laps but I put on a face snorkel/mask and swim around the edge till I get tired. lol

Here is my short list of AGP recommendations...
Gorilla Pad
Foam Coving
Invest in a Robot (I've never vacuumed or brushed my walls)
Hairnets for Skimmer (example 3M Disposable Hair Net 407, Spunbond Polypropylene, Universal, White (Case of 100))
TF-100 w/ Speedstir and extra magnets (that way you can do all your testing without rinsing anything)
If you decide saltwater double the size for your pool and Taylor K-1766 for testing
Cheap Winter cover (I had good success with ~$30 Defender 8 Year Oval Above Ground Winter Pool Cover)
On top of cover I put this ~$15 contraption to manually pump the water off. It also held down the cover from wind. (Blue Wave Drain for Winter Pool Cover)
The cover and contraption I figure I'll order each year...actually just did while getting links for you - so thank you for your questions!

I wish you great success on your build!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support