Hello from NW Indiana-

Arne73

Aug 7, 2020
NW Indiana
Hello all
We finally got our pool up and filled this week, a 24 ' x 52" Vogue Revelation. My first pool but my wife has had one before.
We're on a well filled the pool in about 36 hours and are in the process of getting the water chemistry right.
I'm looking forward to learning about pool care, glad I found this site.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Heads-up, unless you are an extremely rare case, your well water probably has iron in it and your TA may also be quite elevated. We'll be glad to help you with either of those once you get all your test results recorded. Feel free to post back if you like. Don't forget to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include the well in your sig and which test you are using. In case it helps in advance, below is a good testimonial about removing iron from pool water. Have a nice weekend.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Heads-up, unless you are an extremely rare case, your well water probably has iron in it and your TA may also be quite elevated. We'll be glad to help you with either of those once you get all your test results recorded. Feel free to post back if you like. Don't forget to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. Include the well in your sig and which test you are using. In case it helps in advance, below is a good testimonial about removing iron from pool water. Have a nice weekend.

Thanks for the

Thanks for the welcome and advice.
I'll be sure to get my particulars on my sig. I'm using a 150# sand filter.
We started filling Monday. 2 gl MA brought the pH right to 7.4 but my alkalinity was over 300. Added Conquest and circulated for 48 hrs. The water really started to clear up, couldn't see the bottom drain at first. After circulating for 48 hrs we backwashed, vacuumed, backwash again then added 2 bags of granular chlorine.
I tested the 24 hrs later and my alkalinity was well over 400 , chlorine levels were down to zero. Last night (after work) I loaded the feeder with pucks and set the dial to 2.
I hoped to have the ladder assembled for an inaugural quick evening dip but darkness, mosquitoes and fatigue won out.
I'll gather my equipment, chemical and testing details and post that.

That high TA is common in your region. It will take time to lower, but certainly can be done. Just a few more notes based on your reply:
- Tabs are convenient but not the ideal way to chlorinate long-term; they increase the CYA (stabilizer) level too high. Generally we recommend liquid chlorine or regular bleach (same thing) Check your local Walmart for Pool Essentials or Home Depot for their HDX chlorine in the pool section. Other stores nearby should have something similar.
- Tabs will increase CYA, but it will take a bit of time. You should consider adding at least 30 ppm of stabilizer via the sock method now to protect your free chlorine (FC). To avoid algae, keep the FC and CYA balanced at all times as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
- Also keep the pH under 7.5 with well water (iron).

If you start to see any problems with water color changes or staining (iron), let us know. Enjoy.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.