Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Hi everyone,

New to the forum but have been reading on here the last few months. Decided to join officially.

Got a 13,000 gallon SWG ingrown pool installed this year and have been maintaining for the last 6 month. This site has given me a lot of confidence.

The next big step - I want to keep the pool running through the winter.

Any suggestions or links on info regarding this greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wave: Running the pool through the winter is certainly possible given a few special precautions. When you get a chance, please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. That should help us with future questions and answers. Thanks for using the forum.

You can generally stop chlorinating when the water stays less than 60 degrees. Run your pump continuously during freezing temperatures. It's easier to cover with a winter cover so you don't have to clean debris. You will likely stop chlorinating in late October or sometime in November. Start chlorinating again in mid April. However, weather oddities may change this. I had 60 degree pool temps after a warm spell in March 2018. I started chlorinating, but stopped when my temps dropped back down. In our environment, you may loose all your CYA over the winter secondary to microbes. When you start chlorinating in the Spring, I'd start with shock level FC. If there happened to be ammonia (from CYA breakdown) you may have to keep your FC up for a few days to take care of the ammonia. You can tell this by your FC consumption. If it holds FC, you're good.

You could also put a thermostat / (and likely a contactor to handle the amps) on your pump circuit to cut it on for you when the temp drops to your thermostat set level.

Caveat: power outages and GFCI breaker tripping may allow your equipment to freeze.