Hello from MD with DE issues!

Arliss

Aug 9, 2022
Maryland
Hi! I am a first time pool owner in Maryland. Been lurking on here for a couple months, but getting a little overwhelmed with issues so I thought I'd start posting! My pool water looks good, but I have two issues that may or may not be related.

First, I opened up my DE filter and cleaned it for the first time because I noticed the pressure was getting high very quickly (17 psi to 25 PSI in a day). The DE powder was highly concentrated on 2 of the grids. I replaced it. Problem solved for a few weeks. I THINK the issue is caused by not replacing enough DE powder when I backwashed (only the first time did I notice cloudy white water when I backwashed. The rest of the times I've only seen sediment) combined with the filter grids needing the deep clean pool school says you do, combined with maybe a slight algae problem (I think it's mustard, it's only one walls and floor, never on surface of water and water always looks clear).

So is the answer to do the really deep clean that pool school says, and to always add 80% of the DE after backwashing? I can't help worrying that that will quickly be too much DE?

Oh last thing--I'm still working on getting my CYA high enough but otherwise my water is balanced. I have the Taylor test kit recommended on here and I even used the wheel. So the issue has been chlorine going down too quickly, but now that my CYA is close to 30 that is less of an issue.

My stats:
Hayward DE filter
20,000 capacity kidney shaped pool

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

So is the answer to do the really deep clean that pool school says, and to always add 80% of the DE after backwashing?

Yes.

I can't help worrying that that will quickly be too much DE?

It will not if you backwash properly.

When you backwash do you alternate BACKWASH and RINSE 30 - 60 three times?