Hello from Mafra, Portugal!

RPA

Apr 5, 2023
Mafra Portugal
Hi, i am a new owner of a pool (around 21m3) wich i would like to take care in a dyi fashion. Not taking any shortcuts though, users heath is my goal.
Today i am looking for hints on pool preparation for first use, this has been filled with rain water and got a whole amount of chlorinine from the guys who build it only. Tested it and now i know that alcalinity and ph is very low, will start with a moderate dose of sodium bicarbonate brought from the drug store and see what happens to PH.
Open for any suggestion! Thanks for accepting me here.

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Because of your location, there may be some challenges in how to fully incorporate TFP methods and products in your pool due to product availability and testing, but we'll certainly try. Maybe post some pics of the chemicals you have available?

Be sure to read and bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for future reference. You'll find LOTS of great info there. Also try to use our PoolMath APP which can be very helpful.

Since this is your first (Intro) thread, you might consider starting a new thread in the Just Getting Started or Testing and Balancing Your Water sub-forums. That way we can be sure to keep the topic together.

Lots of people here ready to help you. Welcome!

A few weeks late, but welcome from a nearby village in Portugal. We’ve been able to successfully integrate the TFP methods, testing agents and the products needed for our pool. For some products, it does take a bit of research.

The Taylor test kit was ordered from BEHQ SL (Spain). The Taylor test kits are also available on Amazon.de. Reordered some of the Taylor agents through Amazon.de or Amazon.com (both ship to Portugal).

Most of the pool products needed were purchased at Leroy Merlin or the local Agriloja. When traveling through Spain, we’ve stopped at Costco and got multiple 5kg bags of Arm & Hammer baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), which we use for other purposes besides the pool.