Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
We have a 12K gunite pool. It was built approximately 5 years ago, it has never been drained. At this time it has a salt chlorinator, I believe is not working, it has always be a high demand of acid in this pool, and the chlorine level has also been low with some algae's, and high phosphate reading.
Three weeks ago, I decided to switch to chlorine tablets, after using a phosphate reducer and cleaning the filter, and bingo, there are no algae's, the PH reading are in the proper range. This week I got a reading of Total Free Chlorine that was a little high according to the pool store, also the Calcium reading is showing a reading of 550, the pool store says is also on the high side. The water is clear. I also installed a solar heating system in the pool so that the grandkids can swim all year long. Is there any recommendations for maintaining the proper levels of Calcium Hardness?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Great to have you with us. I will start off by saying you will find here at TFP we avoid the pool store like COVID, and the only reliable testing is owner testing using a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. We don't advocate phosphate testing or reducers, and chlorine tabs are "okay" for short term use as long as the CYA is not too high. We'll be happy to go over that and much more if you like. Have a nice weekend.