Hello from Florida

Re: Just got my Taylor kit-results are in

Ok I'll go by the numbers in the pool math for the acid and bleach. I'm at work all day so I'll add the acid in the morning but will have to retest when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Just got my Taylor kit-results are in

pH first. Be sure to input the pool volume and the TA as well, because they both affect the acid dosage. If you're off the pH scale, you could be far higher than 8.2, so don't immediately think you did something wrong if the pH still shows 8.2 after adding acid and letting it mix. pH is logarithmic, so the jump from 8.5 to 8 is 10X bigger than 8 to 7.5.

What does the water look like? Crystal clear/ hazy/ cloudy/ murky/ swamp? That will sort of dictate the next step.

Water is crystal clear, looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In that case, adjust pH, turn up the SWG, and raise TA to 60. You have acid, your SWG is running, and baking soda is readily available at grocery and big box stores that are open late. I doubt you'll find cheap ice melt in Florida, so you will need to stop somewhere to buy some Calcium Increaser, but that's not as critical as pH and FC.

Went ahead last night and added 1 cup of MA, tested (no change) and then added another cup of MA (still no change). Has to call it a night and left it at that. Also turned up the SWG at bit. Did a quick test this morning and still 8+ on the pH but no time to add any more MA before I left for work. My husband will beat me home this afternoon so I'll have him test and add one cup at a time of MA, test and add until he sees a drop in the pH. (That is if I can convince him to do all that, he's of the mind that we should just leave everything alone since the water is clear). Once I can get the pH to drop (it'll climb again) and increase the chlorine a bit what should be my next step? Is the TA or CH more important? Does one need to be treated for before the other or can they be done concurrently?

P.S. I checked online and I can get cheap ice melt from Walmart delivered to my local store. It's this brand if that would work.
[h=1]Snow Joe MELT Calcium Chloride Crystals Ice Melter (50 lb. Resealable Bag)[/h]

Keep working on him to help out! Tell him if he doesn't help with the PH that you'll have to replaster the pool in a year or two.

I would leave your TA at 40 right now, low TA will help reduce PH rise. Once your PH is under control a little better raise it to 60. Add CH to 350 soon.

Have you seen this page on pool chemicals and how to add them? Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Ok, thanks. One less thing to mess with at this point would be great. I'll either have to get the calcium chloride delivered to my local Walmart (won't arrive until 4/11) or bite the bullet and pay twice as much at my local pool store. Seems ice melt isn't too popular in Florida :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some salt won't hurt anything. It'll make the water feel a little softer. Bleach, chlorine and muriatic acid all add a little salt to the water over time.

I'm just hesitant to order this as it's not mentioned anywhere on this forum. Just hard to find any decent substitute here in the Sunshine State. My pool store did have 25 lbs. of their brand of CH increaser for $29 which I know isn't great but at least I'd know I was getting the right stuff.

Price is about the same there as my pool store but there would probably be shipping on something that weighs 50 lbs. I'll just put my blinders on the go to Pinch A Penny. At least their prices aren't too out of line. Still the best price I've found locally on MA too.

Well if you're a geek, we're all in trouble. :geek: You should see my desktop. :) Numbers look good. Just watch that FC closely. Your approaching the minimum even for an SWG-pool. I would try to never let it go below 4. Try to hover around 5 as much as possible, especially when summer gets here. :sun: Have a nice evening.

TFP Supporter Button Link:
If you found the help at TFP valuable, and feel inclined to do so, we hope you might consider helping to keep the site operable by becoming a TFP supporter by clicking here View attachment 46327 :deal:
Thanks, and have a great swimming season! :swim:

I even made a little spreadsheet so I can track my numbers over time. My husband thinks I'm a total geek :D

LOL. Nah, I think you're good.

I'm much geekier. I not only put my numbers into a spreadsheet, but I make a chart too.

P.S.: If someone could tell me how to attach images that are actually legible (without having to host them elsewhere), I'd be ever so grateful.

P.P.S.: Hey, just realized you're right next door to Daytona Beach. My daughter is there in college. I'll be picking her up in a month's time for summer break.

Pool Vitals 20160405.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.