Hello from DFW

Sep 1, 2017
Euless, TX
Hi there. Last May I purchased a house with a pool and became a pool owner for the first time. It was in decent shape but I wasn't paying the $200 per month to maintain it since I like to DIY what I can. At first I was maintaining the pool with Clorox test strips, chlorine pucks, and the chemicals suggested by their app. I noticed my stabilizer kept creeping up and their solution was to dump and replace water. At the rate I was gaining stabilizer according to their strips, I'd be doing that all the time. After finding this site, I decided to do things the your way. I got a TF-100 test kit in the mail yesterday and am looking to start at ground zero. I've removed the pucks and am using bleach to chlorinate. Right now the pool looks great but the numbers from my first round of TF-100 testing look a little out of whack:

FC 9
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 210
CH 175
CYA 90

CYA is high and it looks like I'll have to replace some water to get that back in line. FC was 3 initially. That's ok according to the strips but really low compared to the FC/CYA chart. I added bleach to get me up to 10-12. I undershot a little and ended up on 9.5. I don't think I need to SLAM. I lost 0.5 FC overnight according to the FAS-DPD test. I think that's normal. If that is acceptable, can I put off water replacement until after the season is over to get CYA down? TA and pH look really high and CH look really low so it looks like I need to add acid and calcium chloride. The CH says it need about 18lbs on the calulator based on my pool size. Do I add that all at once? It seems like a lot. Thanks for all of your help so far. I'm looking forward to getting over these initial hurdles and into a relatively painless routine.

Well hello there! Nice to see ya! Pull up a chair a sit is while and do some reading and looking around! It sounds like you have a good handle on things all ready!

Nice job on getting the test kit! SWEET!

Lets do some house keeping of you don't mind. Please fill in your signature. Go up to the top of this page to "settings", then look for"edit signature". Tell us about your pool. What is is made of? Is it above or in ground? What kind of filter and size. Do you have a SWG? Make sure to put in your test kit as well.

You can keep the CYA where it is for right now. It just means you need a little higher FC but since you say your pool looks good I say let it ride.

You and adjust everything at the same time EXCEPT FC and pH. Chlorine and muriatic acid do not play well together. For these two you need to wait about 15 mins in between when adding them.

I can't WAIT for you to see your pool when it is balanced to TFP standards. You just THINK it looks good now.........just wait! It will sparkle like never before!

:hug:

Kim:kim: