Hello from Canada

Swimnut

Aug 14, 2022
Toronto
Hi everyone,

Just joined... we've had a pool for several years and we use a pool company to maintain it. Unfortunately, I believe them to be dishonest and incompetent. (For example, they'll say the water is pH 7 and it looks like 8, they'll claim its over chlorinated and my test strips show 0...) , either the test strips are worthless (possible, I guess especially if the pH is way out of range).

So I guess I'm looking for a bit of advice... 1) are they wrong/full of it (can post more details) and 2) I found this forum searching for automation, so depending on (1) , should I start building out my Raspberry Pi?... I have an engineering background so it should be doable.

The second question was regarding using salt water (in the context of automating) - would that be advisable ? the pool company (and one other) said not to, but I'm not sure I believe them given the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: First, be sure to visit our Pool Care Basics page. It has everything you need. For testing, we recommend a TF-100 from south of the border if you come this way, or get a Taylor K-2006C up there. One of those is a must. As for salt, using a Salt Water Generator (SWG) is very convenient for producing chlorine and safe for your pool. Very common nowadays.

Reactions: Swimnut