TexasDedHed

Jul 27, 2021
Awesome, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone! First post newbie here. New pool 90% finished (after 8 months, good lord!)

Just saying hello. I'm learning lots and waiting for my test kit to arrive so I can start the process of turning my cloudy silt filled pool. Our flagstone decking just got finished a few days ago and I've been backwashing our sand filter and vacuuming like a madman to remove all the silt and sand. It's a mess.

Going to slam it in a few days, just trying to source the right bleach right now as I wait for the test kit. I'm dying to use the darn pool.

Nice to meet you all, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm sure I'll start a thread once I start the SLAM to get all my newbie questions answered. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: New pool? Plaster or vinyl? Algae? Why do you need to SLAM? You don't want to SLAM (elevated FC levels) for the first 30 days. Be mindful of that. If you have other questions about your new pool start-up let us know. It's HOT! :swim:

Hey TDH and Welcome !!!

The waters in the pool, it fits
There's really nothing much to it
Whistle through your teeth and spit
'Cause it's alright
:)
Nicely done :)
I want it to be alright!

Pool builders have done a great job so far, but theres basically a punchlist of items they need to complete.
-Change out our sand filter out for a cartridge (the freeze forced them to give me a sand filter because there was a wait for the cartridge filter at the time)
-replace a really loud booster pump with one that works quieter like it should
-seal the coping/flagstone

But i want to start a SLAM as soon as I get the test kit because it's as all get out and probably still full of silt from the flagstone. uggh.

Reactions: Newdude
Pool builders have done a great job so far, but theres basically a punchlist of items they need to complete.
I am actually feeling terrible for PBs, or anyone really, in the construction trades. I signed recently for my pool with the same guy who built the last one and we’ve kept a good relationship. He detailed all his struggles and showed me the 20(?) folders of stalled builds he had going on with supply shortages. From my side of the desk it was totally reasonable but I can only imagine how many times all those folks understood his hands were actually tied. 2 setbacks ? 8?

Nothing has gone well the last 18 months. Absolutely nothing. I’m so glad that you’re onto the punch lists and simple start ups like removing all the dust that would have happened either way. :)

Keep us posted and in case you haven’t read it yet, pics have NEVER hurt anyone getting advice. As a matter of fact, A thread that states ‘Need XYZ, lots of pics’ will get people pushing each other out the way to help you. Protip. That ones free. :ROFLMAO:

(ok ok ok OK….. they’re ALL free. You’ll love it here).

Reactions: TexasDedHed
But i want to start a SLAM as soon as I get the test kit because it's as all get out and probably still full of silt from the flagstone. uggh.
Your profile shows plaster, so remember you can't SLAM for 30 days. You'll simply treat the pool with a standard amount of liquid chlorine as noted on the FC/CYA Levels once they add stabilizer (3 days after fill). Brush and filter all you can, and keep a normal FC level balanced to the CYA, but save the SLAM for next month if needed. Keep notes of what they dump in the water.

Your profile shows plaster, so remember you can't SLAM for 30 days. You'll simply treat the pool with a standard amount of liquid chlorine as noted on the FC/CYA Levels once they add stabilizer (3 days after fill). Brush and filter all you can, and keep a normal FC level balanced to the CYA, but save the SLAM for next month if needed. Keep notes of what they dump in the water.
Good advice, thank you! I'll have to ask Mr. Travis what exactly he's been putting in it, he tends to show up whenever he gets off his couch and throws some acid or something in it and calls it a day. Not sure he really cares too much about what he's doing since he vacuumed one day and somehow it all just ended up in the hot tub :oops:

I'll post pics, don't worry.

Oh, and we've had water in for longer than 30 days now, it's probably going on 60. I assume it's safe to SLAMMOJAMMO when I get the test kit?