Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2023
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi folks. Closing next month on a home with what will be my first ever pool. I like taking care of my own stuff, learning, and saving money, all of which seems to align nicely to TFPC principles. I found this community after some research online. I was looking at several different resources (Pool Guy Podcast show, Reddit, Texags forum) and interestingly all of them led me here at some point. So I’ve been reading TFP, downloaded the PoolMath app and made an account.

The pool is a nice in ground pool with spillover spa, with recent PebbleTec refinish. It’s in pretty good shape according to the pool inspection we had done, all equipment is working (variable speed pump, Polaris, D.E. filter, chlorinator, gas heater). He did suggest a few minor repairs that I intend to have taken care of soon as we close.

Right now the only info I have about the pool is what was in the inspection report, which is a lot, but not everything. I plan to ask the sellers the following:

• Can you leave behind any installation/service paperwork for the pool?
  • How many gallons is the pool? I know I can estimate this, but I figure they may already have a more accurate number.
  • Is the pool currently maintained by a pool pro (if so, who) or or DIY? NOTE: We are going on a week long trip right after closing on the home, so I might need current pool pro folks to continue maintenance until we return from trip and I have time to really get acquainted with it. Hence the question, I figure existing service folks will be best bet for consistency until I can take it over.
  • Is the variable speed pump on some kind of schedule or running full speed 24/7? NOTE: The pool equipment sits about 6 feet elevation above the pool, and my inspector said it's not a good idea to start/stop the pump every day, because dry starts are hard on the pump (said it takes few minutes to get water uphill to the pump). He suggested we ought to have the pump programmed to run full/high speed for cleaning 10-14 hours, then switch to low speed, just enough for the pump to maintain its prime. This makes logical sense to me, and seems to be legit from what I can find online. But welcome any feedback on that.
So I have some questions for you all, but I can make a separate post in a different forum category if that's better, just let me know:

Is there anything else I should ask the sellers in addition to questions above?

Planning on ordering the TF-Pro test kit along with the Standard Sampler to get some practice. Anything else you’d recommend I add to my first order from TFtestkits.net?

Are there any other specific resources I should be looking at in the mean time? I’ve been consuming the TFP website and YouTube, but if there are any reference/books that align with TFPC approach, I’d appreciate a recommendation. Sometimes I just like to sit down with a book (ebook is fine) vs consuming a million different pieces of content on web/YouTube.

Thanks!
-Chris