Hello from Austin Texas

JLMTX73

May 10, 2021
Austin, TX
Hello, my name is Jeff Minch and I live in Austin, Texas. I have a gunite, Pebbletec, 24,000 gallon pool with a largish spa that spills into the pool like a waterfall. I have a Pentair system that is about 15 years old. I have replaced a few pumps through the years. I have a sectional DE filter.

In the recent bad weather and freeze in Texas, I lost five 45' blueberry trees that dumped all of their leaves in my pool.

I use a pool service company and just before the bad weather, my pool was perfect, but it was a little cold so no use.

After the leaf dump and a long period of inattention with a foot of leaves in the bottom, the water quality went to heck.

I tried to recover with a normal shock regimen, but my CYA was off the chart, so I have drained the pool and pressure washed it -- every bit of it including taking out the lights and cleaning the niches (which were awful with algae).

Now, I am going to change out some bulbs and refill the pool.

I think I am going to go to calcium hypochlorite rather than anything that contains CYA and I want to learn about liquid chlorine/Clorox.

I am an engineer and prepared to do the work to learn what I need to learn.

So, here I am. Thanks.

JLM, welcome to TFP! :wave: For future reference, we use the SLAM Process to kill and remove algae. Also, as long as you maintain the proper FC to CYA ration, there is no need for any pool store-recommended weekly shocks. See our FC/CYA Levels for details. Last, Cal-Hypo and CYA (cyanuric acid) have two completely different purposes. Personally, unless your fill water is exceptionally soft, I would not use cal-hypo. Find a place that still has liquid chlorine and just use that. You will need to add some stabilizer (CYA) since new water won't have any. Add enough stabilizer (via the sock soaking method) to bring your CYA up to about 40-50 this time of year. If you have any questions, just let us know.