Hello from Arizona

Aug 28, 2018
Goodyear/Arizona
Hello All,

Finding this site has saved me a ton of extra work on my now 2.5 year old pool. I am brand new to pool ownership and relied on Pool Maintenance company for 2 years to maintain the pool. What a mistake. I am now discovering the pool was never in correct water chemistry. So for past 6 months I am now in charge and learning weekly all the information to properly maintain the pool and equipment.

I have purchased the recommended Taylor K2006 reagent kit and now finally have real numbers I can work with. The pool is approximately 13,000 gallons pebble sheen finish with SWG all Pentair equipment. The pool maintenance company never discussed or from what I have learned adjusted CYA anywhere close to the recommended numbers for a SWG treated pool (70 - 80 ppm). Mine was at 10 when I verified with kit.

My pH was continually running high due to imbalance in the water chemistry as well as the SWG and Arizona heat. I think finally getting the numbers under control as well as some issues with black algae fine spots in the pebble sheen finish which I have learned proper protocol from this site to treat. The pool maintenance "pro" simply used black algaecide (copper) to treat and I dont believe ever effectively brushed down pool to treat correctly.

I look forward to learning more about correct pool maintenance as well as enjoying my now much less trouble pool.

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

You cannot test CYA at 10 ppm. So not sure how you did that!

If there is copper in your pool be aware the only way to get rid of it is to drain the water and replace with fresh.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

:wave: Welcome to TFP Gwhiz68

Looks like you know enough to know the pool Pro likely wasn't that much of a Pro after all. You'll be very happy with the results and the savings $$ in taking charge of your own pool.