Heavy rain flooded pool with dirt

Jul 1, 2017
Manlius, NY
Not sure this is the place for this. I have never had this happen before. But last night it rains many inches very quickly and flooded an area around the pool, the patio drain got plugged up and a lot of dirt ended up in the pool. I have a DE filter and have switched the DE out twice today with little impact on the pool. I'm looking for other suggestions on how to get it cleaned up. Thank you.

IMG_1477.jpg

Be prepared for a LOT of filter cleaning. If there is heavy sediment at the bottom, vacuum to WASTE if you can, but a lot of it will simply take time. Keep the FC elevated as you go to avoid algae, although a SLAM Process may be inevitable at some point. That stinks, but we see it a few times per year. Be patient and stay at it. Good luck.

That's going to be a pain with a DE filter. Can you vacuum to waste? Does it make sense to replace some of the water? Can you use a trash pump to get sediment off the bottom? Can you use a trash pump to run the water through a home made filter? A trash can with polyfill would trap the larger particles. You would have to have a hole in the bottom of the can to let water back in the pool.

I don't have a vacuum, I only have a pool robot which I have been running all day today and washing the filter every 30 minutes to get anything at the bottom.

I don't have a trash pump unfortunately.

I can vacuum to waste though. I might have to invest in a vacuum then. Is there an additive to help the dirt settle?

There are additives to help the dirt settle but you are going to have to be really careful with them since you can damage a filter that way. A flocculent will cause things to settle but you don't want it in the filter. You have to vacuum to waste.

I've used a clarifier in the past which can be filtered. Your problem is a DE filter is very efficient and you have a lot of stuff to remove.

You might let other people comment before you do anything. There are some risks involved and I'd hate to steer you wrong.

Yeah, just grab a simple vacuum head & hose (like below) that you can put into your skimmer and vacuum to WASTE. It will take several attempts for sure. While it may sound temping to use a floc, I would avoid that for now. Vacuum, let it settle, and repeat. You'll get it.

I can't vacuum to waste so I start a siphon with the hose and vacuum dirt off the bottom. The water has to be clear enough to see it and the suction isn't all that great but it works. I had a big storm, no cover, a lot of stuff to remove and too much water in the pool. Killed multiple birds with one stone that way. Once the water level was low enough I let the filter handle the rest.

I reread some of the postings here on flocculants. Search for some of them yourself. They are usually the last resort because of the risks associated with using them wrong.

What robot do you have? Its not in your signature. I would run that guy non stop and pull it out often to clean it.

I would also use a fine mesh net to try to scoop out as much as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Appreciate everyone's help. I ordered a vacuum setup which will be here Thursday. I'm going to constantly run my pool robot until then and switch out the DE a couple times a day. Sounds like I just need to work at it constantly. I don't plan to use any flocculants.

Again, many thanks!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.