Heating pool- anyone above the Mason-Dixon line?

May 15, 2011
Hello! Long time reader, first time poster.

We've had an above-ground pool for the last 9 years, in one respect or another. 2 Intex framed pools (currently using one), and even one permanent above-ground, but that collapsed due to shotty installation (we thought we leveled it enough, oops!). Over the last 9 years, between reading this forum and just hands-on experience, I can keep our pool sparkling clean from May to September with minimal issue. So thank you all for that! We love our pool; All five of our kids use the pool, but it's mostly for my middle child, who has Angelman Syndrome. It's great water therapy for her. However, we live in the Adirondacks of NY, and keeping a pool above 75 degrees without a heating device is almost impossible.

We finally sucked up our pride and applied to Make-A-Wish for a bigger pool and heater for our daughter. She has issues with transitioning in large temperature swings, so getting her in the pool on a 90 degree day when it's only 74 has been setting off her seizures. We are in the boondocks, so we don't have access to natural gas and electric/propane is extremely expensive; it would raise our bill $400+ a month to heat it, so we asked for a heat pump. Make-A-Wish has no problem with the pool, but unfortunately, they will under no condition help with the heater-ANY heater. I might have taken the electric heater and only used it in the spring and fall, or even during cold spells to keep it 75 degrees, but nope :(

So now that I've explained our scenario, I'm hoping there are members out there that can help us devise our own solar heating system or point us in the right direction for a pre-made one. I have a shed close to the pool with a metal roof, maybe 12'x6', that gets sunlight all day long. I was thinking of covering that roof with hose to collect that awesome heat, and even build an A-Frame structure with piping that can sit below the roof but still in sunlight. I read that we should try to have the same surface space of our pool when building or buying a solar heating device, and we have plenty of room for that. The pool they are giving my daughter will be 24', and I'm losing my mind with worry trying to figure out how to heat it. I want her to enjoy it. I'm even open to experiences with heat pumps and suggestions in case we decide to pinch our last pennies and get one in the spring. We aren't looking to extend her pool season, just make it more comfortable for her.

So, members, shout your answer out! I'd love any and all input. I appreciate it all. Thank you!

The first thing to do is to get an 8 mil solar cover to retain heat over night. It is also the cheapest. It will help push your temp up toward the average hi temp vs the midpoint between hi and lo temps.

I also have Vortex solar panels from Solar Direct that help a lot with heating the pool. And then for the last bit of heat we use a small heat pump from Hayward, the HP50HA. It uses a 240v 20a circuit. I DIY installed the solar and the heat pump. There are pics in my pool thread, link in sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.