Heating Plan for New Inflatable Spa

bryher

Jul 11, 2018
Phoenixville
Hi all, first time spa owner here. Well, really its a new Intex inflatable 6 person spa holding approx 300 gallons. We're just not in a place yet to invest in a full blown hot tub. Anyway I'd still like to make improvements. The included heating system is a 1300W heater. It takes forever to heat up and cant be used in cold weather. I did research on propane, natural gas, and electric tankless spa heaters. So I went and bought an oversized 11kw unit (Eco Smart Smart Spa 11) to be able to heat this thing quickly and also have the option to warm up our intex 1000 gallon above ground swimming pool during the cooler months.

I do have some experience with electricity, pumps and PVC plumbing with my 300 gallon saltwater reef aquarium, but otherwise starting from scratch here.

My first question is a pump and the plumbing needs. The heater has a 10GPM activation flow rate. Plus like I said I'd like to tee a line to our pool about 20 feet away to switch the heater back and forth from the spa to the pool.

I was looking at a 40GPM pump, again oversized probably, to also help with circulation and filtration (would install an inline filter before the heater). Is that too much?

Any other thoughts come to mind as I embark on this journey?

Here's the diagram from the heater MFR:

pcBOqFP.jpg

What is the max flow rate on the heater? The diagram shows a bypass, so I assume you plan to have one? I would include a valve on the bypass for flow control, and plumb up to the bypass with the same size pipe as the pump output. If the heater has smaller connections, reduce pipe between the bypass and the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.