Jun 27, 2015
Katy
Hello,

During the freeze, all of my equipment (ALL) became damaged ... heater, valves, pumps, etc. I was just able to locate a replacement heater, and the pool service company asked me whether I was aware my pool pad install was in violation of local code. I was not. The pool equipment (heater) was installed directly adjacent to a door that leads in to my attached garage, and up against the exterior garage wall. I was advised the heater is required to be vented no less than 4 feet away from the door.

Would you correct immediately, and do any of you have photos of what you've done in a similar situation?

Thanks!

Yes, correct it immediately. The heater exhaust getting into the house can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning and death by folks in the house.

I doubt you will get pics as most folks would never get into your situation. A stainless steel flue stack needs to be constructed to direct the exhaust up and away from any openings in the house.

You didn't specify the model heater you now have but most heaters specify minimum clearances to all walls and that may vary based on the wall materials.

Reactions: NewToPools_Texas
So would you sue (I'm not a person that sues - but this upsets me greatly that a reputable pool builder would do this) ... and how much do you think this might cost to correct?

I had a pentair mastertemp 400K natgas
I had to replace with the new hayward 400k model - since that was all that was in stock.

Who would you sue? What damages would you claim? It is hard to sue for incompetence.

The specs for venting your heater are describe don pages 17=18 in https://www.hayward-pool.com/assets...n-and-Operations-Manual-51300803801-Rev-B.pdf

It will cost a bit and look horrible having a stainless steel vent stack going up the side of your house.

What is to the left of your equipment pad?

I would fix it by changing your equipment around. Swap the pump and heater. Heater to the left of the filter with the exhaust going to the left and pump to the right of the filter. It will take a plumber a day of work redoing the PVC piping and extending the gas line.

With the heater on the left is it away from any door or windows?

Last edited:
Thank you. I truly appreciate the feedback and advice. I would sue for the cost to reconfigure the pad. What do you think it would cost to swap all the equipment and piping? I hate the vent idea. I'd prefer to reconfigure the equipment but am afraid it is a bigger job than I am financially prepared to take on.

I think either reconfiguring the equipment or constructing a vent pipe will cost about the same - about a day of work.

Having the heater exhaust by the spa blower intake is not ideal but I would take it over the current situation.

I would move the equipment around. It should not be that big of a job by a plumber.

Have you spoken to the Pool Builder who originally set this up and who you want to sue? Maybe he will agree to move the equipment around at a discounted cost to prevent any dispute.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is not the place for legal advice. However before you sue someone you need to give them an opportunity to correct the defects. You need to demonstrate that you made good faith efforts to resolve the dispute before you brought it to the court.

As much you don't want to deal with the PB you need to give it a try if you expect to get anything from him.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.