Bronze Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We refinished our pool about a year ago. Since then we have not used the gas heater at all. We are planning to use it occasionally this winter. I am wondering if I should expect any discoloration of the water/Pool Surface when the heater is turned on the first time. If so, any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks.

have you been flowing water through the heater as part of your normal circulation or do you have a bypass on the heater?
Also, follow these guidelines when operating in cold weather - this is from the Manual

Operating this heater continuously at water temperatures below 68° F. (20° C) will cause harmful condensation and will damage
the heater and void the warranty.
• If the heater has been drained for freezing condition, do NOT turn "ON" until the system is circulating water.
• Water trapped in the heat exchanger can result in freeze damage to the exchanger or headers. Freeze damage is specifically not
covered by the warranty.
• When starting the heater for the swimming season with a water temperature below 50° F (10° C), the heater may be used to heat
the water; however, make sure that the heater operates continuously until the water temperature reaches the heater’s minimum
setting of 68° F (20° C). During cold weather, if there is no danger of freezing, operate the filter pump continuously even if the
heater is not operating. If air temperatures are expected to drop below freezing (32° F/0° C), shut down the heater and winterize
it.

There is no bypass to the heater. Thanks for all the other suggestions.
Since you have no bypass then your pool water has been circulating through the coils constantly. I doubt you have any discoloration. However, it is best to turn on your heater every so often just to ensure it is working properly. Hope all goes well and enjoy your swim or spa time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.