Heater with VS pump automation alternative ?

Apr 23, 2018
Racine
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Automation system alternative?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]My old system had a single speed pump controlled by a mechanical 220V time clock and a fireman’s switch to shut down the heater ahead of the pump. I now have a Pentair Superflo VS pump which doesn’t really need the time clock as it can be programmed directly. I rarely use the heater however I want to protect it from running without the pump engaged and still provide a cool down timing function. Automation systems appear to be expensive and I only need it for this cool down function.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So...here’s my thought:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Install a 6 hour spring wound count down timer to control the heater.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Set the “Quick Clean” function on the pump to run at a sufficient rpm and a duration of 7 hours. (The Quick Clean function overrides all programming until it completes its cycle and then reverts back to the programmed schedule).[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]So my operation to run the heater would be:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]1.Engage “Quick Clean” cycle on pump.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]2.Set spring wound timer to 6 hours (max time setting)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]3.Set thermostat on heater[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]This would ensure that if I forget to turn off the heater, it would do so automatically with sufficient cool down time.[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thoughts?[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Thanks[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Scott [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I think that's a fine idea. I do something similar to make sure my pump is on whenever I could be running my heater.

The good thing about our pumps is the automation options are more generic. We don't need the Pentair controllers. We just need a 5-24V dc or ac lead to connect to one of our automation pins.

Why is this important? Because, eventually (i.e. probably never), I will add a line from my heater relay back to my pump to ensure my pump is on when the heater is on. This should be trivially easy and not require any complicated and expensive Pentair automation master controller.

There is no automation output signal from the Superflo VS control port. It is only set up to receive external relay inputs for speed changes. The only external connection on the pump is for the Pentair data input cord that is sold separately for the pump. The data cord last I looked was a $50+ part depending where you get it from.

The easiest solution to run the heater when the pump runs is to use a regular mechanical of electronic timer to power the heater while the pump is scheduled to run.

I've wired my pump up for external control from a solar controller and an ad hoc wifi control system. Its pretty basic but you will need to be familiar with relay control systems to make it work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.