Knoxville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60
My LaarsLite2 heater is about 20 years old and won’t lite anymore. My pool repair guy says they can probably replace the igniter or control module, but there is so much rusted metal falling out on the inside, he recommends replacing it and I’d agree.

its a 250k BTU heater and we are using a SWCG so the guy is recommending the CU-nickel heat exchanger and also recommending a higher BTU unit. I asked him to come back with an quote for both 250k and 400k, and standard copper and the CU-nickel. Any advice on what I can skimp on and what I shouldn’t? He said he’s a “Hayward” guy so would be recommending that unless I preferred another brand. I have no automation so that’s not a concern.

we also probably won’t use the heater all that much, just to extend the season a bit in cooler months and not at all June - August.

There is no substitute for BTUs. A higher BTU heater will get the water to the set temperature faster at the same cost.

If he will support the Hayward heater and do repairs on it then go for it. Otherwise look into a Raypak heater.

Biggest weak spot with the Hayward heaters are CE codes and displays that need to be replaced...

Ended up ordering a Hayward residential heater online rather than directly from the repair place because it was listed for $500 cheaper and free shipping but didn’t catch that they added sales tax onto the bill so only ended up $300 cheaper. I’ll take it though.

I also did some of the heater calculators online and found they only recommend a ~180k BTU heater so I decided to stick with the 250k BTU. The repair place also quoted a commercial Hayward heater, which looks similar but supposedly has some more robust components but was over $1k more expensive. I just don’t think we need that. Now if I can only get it installed before the weather gets to warm to use it. :ROFLMAO:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.