Heater Replacement Question - Jandy JXI vs. Raypak

jmac73

Bronze Supporter
Dec 15, 2020
Sacramento, CA.
Hey folks - Great site here. First time posting. I'm in the process of replacing a failed Hayward H-Series 400 BTU NG heater. My pool equipment contractor quoted the Jandy JXI 400 BTU NG which is how I landed on this site. I notice that the Raypak heaters are held in high regard in this community. As you can see, the unit will be tucked in the back corner of my equipment corral. Would this be problematic for a Raypak of equal form and function? Any input is appreciated as I am a pool newbie. Pic below. Thanks! -Jeff

Corral Pic.jpg

Both heaters will have a smaller footprint than the one you have now. I only have experience with Raypak, so that is what I would recommend. I think their component and build quality is better based on my prior research, but I'm no expert in pool heaters. We have some pool heater Techs on the forum who would have more experience with heater longevity, repairs and efficiencies.

Welcome to TFP.

Who will be doing diagnostics and repairs on the heater? You or your pool equipment contractor?

Will your pool equipment contractor equally support a Raypak heater?

The Jandy JXI is a forced draft heater that uses a blower and more complex electronic controls then the Raypak. The Raypak is a natural draft heater with simpler operation and less expensive parts to replace.

Read the clearance section on pages 6-7 in https://globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=c404f1c5-ac50-4209-9457-56246d010b20 and make sure it will fit in your equipment corral. For ease of servicing, Raypak recommends a clearance of at least 24" (610 mm) in the front, and at least 18" (457 mm) on the water connection side. This will enable the heater to be serviced in its installed location, that is, without movement or removal of the heater which would be difficult in your heater location..

Both heaters will have a smaller footprint than the one you have now. I only have experience with Raypak, so that is what I would recommend. I think their component and build quality is better based on my prior research, but I'm no expert in pool heaters. We have some pool heater Techs on the forum who would have more experience with heater longevity, repairs and efficiencies.

Appreciate the input. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

Who will be doing diagnostics and repairs on the heater? You or your pool equipment contractor?

Will your pool equipment contractor equally support a Raypak heater?

The Jandy JXI is a forced draft heater that uses a blower and more complex electronic controls then the Raypak. The Raypak is a natural draft heater with simpler operation and less expensive parts to replace.

Read the clearance section on pages 6-7 in https://globalimageserver.com/FetchDocument.aspx?ID=c404f1c5-ac50-4209-9457-56246d010b20 and make sure it will fit in your equipment corral. For ease of servicing, Raypak recommends a clearance of at least 24" (610 mm) in the front, and at least 18" (457 mm) on the water connection side. This will enable the heater to be serviced in its installed location, that is, without movement or removal of the heater which would be difficult in your heater location..

Thanks, glad to be here! The installer of the heater will be doing all of the diagnostics and repairs. Thanks for the link and comments regarding operating clearance/maintenance clearance. That may have just made my decision for me. This site is outstanding. Can't wait to pick your brains about my impending automation upgrade! Thanks again, Allen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.