Heater & pump/filter recommendations for Intex XTR Ultra Rectangular 24ft x 12ft

NJSwimmom

May 4, 2020
New Jersey
Brand new pool owner from NJ in process of installing our Intex XTR Ultra Rectangular 24ft x 12ft x 52in pool with sand filter and 12 mil solar cover. A few of the common Intex links in the forum are almost 10 yrs old or tough for a newbie to follow, so please let me know if you have best recommendations for a heater for this specific pool that would extend pool season from April to Halloween in NJ.(air temps average 45-60f for spring/fall) What pump/filter should I upgrade to if I want to use a robot vacuum and thru wall skimmer?

Current Progres on install: I had a 20 ft x 30 ft area in our backyard professionally leveled with a bobcat & transit to match lowest area of yard & ground is now very firm compacted NJ native sandy soil that I’ve let settle for 2 weeks. Not adding any type of sand/rock base. Spraying weed killer, then putting down a heavy tarp, then tarp that came with pool, then nine 4ft x 8ft 1/2 inch pink extruded foam base- seams triple taped with waterproof Gorilla tape Putting down 12x8x2 inch pavers level with the ground to support the uprights.
PS: My 17yr old competitive swimmer kid is going to use a swim bungee to train at home in this pool while all the NJ pools are closed! :)
Any recommendations on heater and filter/pump upgrade as described above much appreciated!

Last edited:
I am in the process of installing a Pentair MasterTemp 125k btu natural gas heater on the same pool you have. Plumber is coming Wednesday to hook up the gas. I hope to be swimming next weekend if the weather cooperates.

Reactions: NJSwimmom
I'd recommend you consider upgrading the filter to the largest one Intex makes. They always under spec the filter on the pool. No hurry on this though - maybe you'll be satisfied with the basic model - it's a good pump.
Install a through the wall skimmer. This is a game changer for pool cleanliness.
I use a Dolphin pool cleaner. It's expensive, but it's the first one I've had that (a) works and (b) lasts more than a season.
I'd recommend solar heater, but I live in Arizona. Gas is probably more appropriate for your climate.
Good luck!

I'm going to run the original pump and filter into the ground lol. Mine seems to do OK but I don't have anything to compare it to as it is my first one. When I upgrade the pump I'll cut in the skimmer too, I hear lots of great things about that mod.

Reactions: NJSwimmom
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.