heater for above ground pool

Aug 4, 2017
Overland Park
Did it bit of searching and I’m trying to find a good thread on here for heater recommendations. I’ve got about a 23,000 gallon gunite/plaster pool in Kansas City and my Pentair ETI 400 has been nothing but trouble the last couple years. It’s only 6 1/2 years old. When it works it’s spectacular but that hasn’t been frequently enough. I’ve spent about $1000 on it in the last two years servicing it. It was about $5k new and they are probably twice that now. I definitely like the high-efficiency and the fact that it could increase the temp of my pool by 2° an hour. When it worked. But I’m willing to be more patient if I can get a more reliable one with slightly less efficiency. I guess I’m not really willing to sacrifice a lot of efficiency since pools already are so terrible for the environment and the natural gas it uses makes it worse. Appreciate any suggestions.

What were your problems with the ETI 400?

Pentair MasterTemp is less finicky then the ETI 400. Hayward H-Series or Raypak Avia are equally good. They are all basically the same.

Flame adjuster has needed adjusting 3 times. An electrical failure at one point due to a leak onto a circuit board (requires a metal part not commonly sold separately), stuck valves and clogged exchanger, etc. and I keep my ph, alk and cl tightly controlled. I know they can get finicky after a while but I was hoping to get more than 6 seasons out of it

Pentair tried to improve on the MasterTemp for a few % in efficiency. The MasterTemp is a workhorse and proven through many years.

I would expect 6 to 10 years from a heater. You ended up on the low end.

Appreciate the help. Do you service your heater yearly? I did not know anything about that and certainly my pool builder and company that maintains equipment didn’t either. When I showed them the part of the manual that talks about cleaning it and doing routine maintenance each year and they said OK we’ll go ahead and do that. $500 later I’ve had nothing but problems with it since. Probably coincidental but maybe I should’ve just left it alone. I’m usually a DIY guy but know nothing about pool heaters. I wish I could do the maintenance on it myself.

I have my heater cleaned and checked when I open my pool in the spring. It adds $95 to the opening cost.

Do you close your pool in the winter?

Do you have a spa?