Heater Check Flow

sweinberg83

Aug 6, 2021
Long Island, NY
We are in the final step of our build. I have a Jandy Pro Series pool heater and a Starite variable speed pump. The poolbuilder came by for the final set-up today. They set the pump to run at 40 gpm. He told me that would be enough flow for the heater. The heater is now saying "check flow." The manual for the Jandy says minimum flow is 30 gpm. Am I missing something?

Thanks, Poolbreh. It is a brand new filter. I first noticed the problem when I turned on the booster pump for the polaris. It has been off for a while. When I increase the RPMs on the pump the message on the heater goes away. Should I change the program to more gpms or is this a temporary issues?

The booster pump should be unrelated unless it’s plumbed before the heater. If anything it would increase flow. If you have automation you can bind a speed to the heater, so it doesn’t mess with your day to day scheduling. If you don’t have automation you can set a designated speed on the back of the pump for when you do heat. Yes you should increase the speed slightly.

The booster pump should be unrelated unless it’s plumbed before the heater. If anything it would increase flow. If you have automation you can bind a speed to the heater, so it doesn’t mess with your day to day scheduling. If you don’t have automation you can set a designated speed on the back of the pump for when you do heat. Yes you should increase the speed slightly.
I don't have automation. The booster is plumbed before the heater. I will increase the flow. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Poolbreh
I would designate a speed at 48gpm if that’s what make your heater happy just for heater operations. Everything else would be your normal scheduling. Is it your plan to run the heater consistently to maintain temp?

The manual for the Jandy says minimum flow is 30 gpm. Am I missing something?
The heater uses a pressure switch, it has no idea what the flow is.
The gpm set on pump doesn’t necessarily reflect the gpm after the filter, especially if it’s dirty.
The gpm before and after the filter have to be the same.
I first noticed the problem when I turned on the booster pump for the polaris.
The booster is plumbed before the heater.
The Polaris will reduce the pressure at the heater's pressure switch whether it is plumbed before or after the heater.

What is the equipment elevation relative to the pool?

Do the returns have eyeballs?

The heater uses a pressure switch, it has no idea what the flow is.

The gpm before and after the filter have to be the same.

The Polaris will reduce the pressure at the heater's pressure switch whether it is plumbed before or after the heater.

What is the equipment elevation relative to the pool?

Do the returns have eyeballs?
The equipment seems to be pretty even with the pool surface. What are eyeballs for the returns?

Also, when the pump is running 50 gpm my filter has a psi of 7. When I drop it to 40(where pb set it) the psi on the filter drops to about 5 or sometimes even 3.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sure. Here are the photos. Right now the pump is running at 50 gpm.
20210807_133915-1-jpg.362376

Attachments

• 20210807_133915 (1).jpg
    20210807_133915 (1).jpg
    636.7 KB · Views: 18
That's an eyeball.

It helps direct the flow.

It provides extra back pressure, which will help the heater stay on.

You can adjust the pressure switch in the heater if you feel comfortable doing that.

See the manual for the procedure.

1628358390219.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.