Heater and Vinyl Fence Question

mickey4paws said:
I have the Intermatic 101P3:

http://www.intermatic.com/~/media/files ... s/128.ashx

So I can actually get a fireman's switch for it? Also, does the heater have to have a special hookup for it? How complicated is all this? It would be great to have the fireman's switch.

Edit: Ok, just found this. Is this the right one and how hard would it be to install?

http://www.epoolshop.com/heatercontrolf ... 4042a.aspx

I just swapped out that same timer on my brother's pool. I don't have a heater on mine so I bought a new one without the fireman's switch. So I just installed the old fireman's switch on the new timer. That part took literally 3-4 minutes. It just screws on to the face of the mechanism and has a tab that goes under the wheel. The hard part will be identifying where to attach and running the wire from heater to timer. With a manual, that should be straightforward, as long as you know enough not to do damage to yourself. REMEMBER, there are TWO sources of voltage, the heater feed and the pump feed. Make sure BOTH are off while you are working, or you may be very sorry. If any of this makes you uncomfortable, get someone qualified to do it.

Thanks, Pool Clown and Durk. I checked the Lochinvar installation manual and can find nothing about a fireman's switch. Just so I understand it correctly, the heater itself doesn't need a hookup for the fireman's switch, and I just need to connect the switch to the place in the timer where the heater is connected?

Installing a plug recepticle in the house is the only electrical thing I've done and I'm too unsure of how to hook up this switch to do it myself. I think I may still get the switch, but have my PB install it next time he's over. I'm really glad there is this option. I thought I was just out of luck after I bought the timer and realized I should have bought one with a fireman's switch.

Pool Clown said:
You could use Aux device 1 or 2 i suppose. Funny, i did a search on the install manual for "fireman's switch and safety switch" and it came back with nothing! It would appear that they don't need a fireman's switch on this heater.

I had emailed Lochinvar about turning the heater off 20 min before pump shut off because I didn't have a fireman's switch, and this is what he said:

"Although a fireman's switch is not necessary, turning off the heater prior to turning off the pump is fine. It is not necessary to turn it off 20 minutes prior to the pump, 5 minutes will do fine."

I'm confused though, why wouldn't a fireman's switch be necessary? Maybe I'm confused about why you should turn off the heater a bit before the system shuts down.

I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have a spa, (lower temps running thru heater). But if you had a spa, thats where it gets sketchy. If they say it's not necessary then "They're the boss".
BTW five min. is plenty of time for cool down b4 turning off heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.